> Verses from my Kitchen: Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets

This Page

has been moved to new address

Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets

January 19, 2011

Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets

I love the moment I get home from work. The obvious reasons come to mind. I'm off after a long day grinding out a living and my wife greets me and gives me a smile that says everything is good once again. It's a great feeling when you come home to your safety net and the people whom you care for most. I also love heading to my kitchen and planning out a snack, dinner or that night's dessert. It's a great escape after hours spent dealing with work and it's one of the ways I communicate best.

Tonight was one of those nights. I've been battling a stiff neck for days and I wanted a distraction. It's funny how your mind won't stop focusing on something when you want it most. Anyway, I went to the kitchen and took a peak through my cupboards. I just did groceries so I knew I had almost anything I could think of to work with. I keep my pantry stocked and my spices and mason jars full so I'm usually good to go within a few days of a trip to the market.

It took me all of a couple minutes to find my tartlet pans. I just picked them up recently and was thinking of a way to use them right away. I had some money left over from a gift certificate MIL gave me. Yes, that's what I call my mother-in-law. It's cool. She not only loaded my Christmas take with foodie items but she gave me a gift certificate to get myself something. So far the loot stands at plates, a mini casserole dish, a mandoline and the tartlet pans. Not a bad set of goodies for a food junkie like me. So I took out the pans and pulled out my food journal.

I recently made a batch of clementine curd but quickly used that all up. Luckily I had a bag full of shiny lemons and 3 pints of blueberries to work with. I knew I wanted to make another batch of curd because it's great to have on hand and bloody delicious. So before I knew it I had decided on making Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets for dessert. Something special for my hump day free-for-all. Everybody needs that extra push to get them through to the weekend.

The curd really is simple to make and it's versatile. I can brush it on toast or pastries or add it to a dessert like this. The tartness of the curd is a perfect match for the sweetness of the blueberries and the sweet and savoury ginger crust. It's smooth and slightly crunchy all at once. Honestly,  it's like flavour works going off in your mouth. It will definitely be playing a repeat performance at my house someday very soon.


So make a batch of curd and keep it on hand for nights like these. Once you make it, let it rest in the fridge to thicken up a bit more and get nice and cold. The base for the tart is a ginger snap crust. I grind up a couple dozen ginger snap cookies in my processor and mix it with a few tablespoons of melted butter. I then add it to the pans and press to form an even layer around the sides and base. I cook it off at 350 degree for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. I let it rest and once it's cooled down significantly I add in the lemon curd. I top that with a layer of blueberries, some lemon zest and a shake of icing sugar.

This may seem indulgent, and it is, but it's really the perfect weekday dessert. If you can make a batch of lemon curd ahead of time, it'll last for a solid week and you only have to make the base on a weeknight. Simple, right? We're talking 30 minutes start to finish.The results are amazing!


Make this sometime and let me know what you think. This is the perfect way to cap a dinner for two, as we did tonight, and to serve if you're having guests over for a Saturday night dinner and drinks. Either way, this just might very well creep its way into your food journal for future ideas.

Blueberry-Lemon Tartlets. Seriously good!

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!


**This post made Foodbuzz Top 9!

Labels: , , , , ,

34 Comments:

At January 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

What a great way to spend the evening. I completely relate in both the feeling of going home and communicating through the kitchen. It's so different from the daily routine and stress. That tart looks so fresh and delicious! They just made it to my next grocery list!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Jessica, I couldn't agree more! Enjoy this when you do your next shopping trip, i think you'll like it! It's super fresh.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

THOSE are gorgeous little tarts! Love lemon and blueberry together ... you obviously were inspired after a long day workin' for the man ... so, did you have dessert before dinner ?!? ;-)

 
At January 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Wow, thank you! I had one after dinner but I rushed through the main course knowing I had this waiting for me. Better yet, I have two more in the fridge still.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

I made lemon curd after I saw your post on clementine curd - now I'm going to make it again so I can try this fantastic treat that you put together... it's so yummy!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Kate, i'm glad i've given you a reason to make curd again! It's way too delicious not to make another batch. Thanks as always!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 1:53 AM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

These look wonderful. I am definitely adding them to my list to make soon. I have been seeing a lot of Myer Lemon made into curd on blogs lately so I might try this with the blueberries to make the tarts..

 
At January 20, 2011 at 2:59 AM , Blogger something_good said...

I could skip dinner all together for these! they look so delicious!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I really shouldn't look at these before I've had breakfast. Now I just want to eat sweets!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

ATLATC, thank you. You probabaly notice alot of curd because it's pretty easy to make and a lovely treat to have around. Thanks!

SG, I feel like skipping dinner alot of nights. THanks!

Carolyn, you should never read blogs on an empty stomach. It's self-induced punishment. Thanks!!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Looks wonderful! So tart and delicious! Gorgeous, too!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Mateja ^_^ said...

For me too, kitchen is the best stress reliever! And those tarts are looking super delicious, will definitely try them out soon :)

 
At January 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What an amazing little tartlet! That is an awesome treat for a hard days work!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Lindsey said...

These tartlets look scrumptious! What a great way to take a load off after a long day at work.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Look at that curd oozing over the side! Could you make me any hungrier? :)

 
At January 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Stephanie, they're definitely tart but still sweet! Thanks!!

Mateja, isn't it a great way to relax and escape? Let me know how you like them if you do make them!

Ravie, thank you! They're small but they pack a punch. After a day like today I wish I had another one. I guess i'll have to figure something else out.

Lindsey, it definitely helps! And thank you kindly.

Steph, you can't have too much curd. As soon as your fork cuts into it it oozes out. I love that! Thank you for the comment.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Looks amazingly delicious. I love all things lemon and then to combine it with blueberries...perfect. These are pretty to look at too.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What gorgeous mini-tarts!!! And such wonderful flavors...blueberry plus lemon...mmmmmmm.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Lisa. They were nice to look at but so much better to eat! I love lemon with blueberries and it's a great flavour combination.

Lizzy, thank you so much! They're great portions for dessert. Thanks for dropping in!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

These look magnificent! Thanks for sharing, and I hope your neck is feeling better. - Rachel

 
At January 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Rachel! And yes, it's feeling better already. Thanks for the comment.

 
At January 21, 2011 at 3:32 AM , Blogger CakeWhiz said...

Those are the cutest tartlets i have ever seen!
_________________
www.cakewhiz.com

 
At January 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Wonderful, tart dessert. The perfect capper to a meal. :)

 
At January 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Cake. Wait, what's your name? Easier to thank a person than a scren name.

Thank you Briar. It was the perfect ending that night!

 
At January 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

these look absolutely divine... one of my baking goals for the year is to make a fruit tart - this one will definitely work! =) ~ lillian

 
At January 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Lillian, thank you! It's really not as hard as it might look so give it a shot. I'm sure you'll pull it off!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Blogger The Souper said...

Lemon-Blueberry Tartlets
Recipe and pic have me craving one now. Enjoying your blog and the music :)

The Souper

 
At January 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Kim K. said...

I've seen these little tarts all over the place! Gorgeous, gorgeous pic! Congrats on the Top 9!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM , Blogger ThreeTastes said...

Gosh, this whole post is an inspiration. What a great attitude to bring home... and he bakes, too! I'm going to have to try making curd for the first time... thanks for the inspiration.
-Manju

 
At January 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks, The Souper. I think music and food work well with each other.

Kim, i'm not sure where you saw themm but that's cool. And thank you so much!

ThreeTastes, that is really kind. You should definitely make it, i'm sure you'll love it and realize it's not as hard as it might look!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

Congrats on the Top 9! These tartlets look marvelous. And, as I have just received a bounty of clementines, I can't wait to try the curd recipe.

 
At January 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Veronica Culver said...

Beautiful Michael! Congrats on the Top 9, too! Blueberry and lemon together are so yummy!

 
At January 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Eliot! I hope you like it! I love curd.

Thanks Veronica. It's nice when it happens. I love lemon with blueberry and wish I could up with other combinations.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home