> Verses from my Kitchen: Lazy Sunday: Baked Dippy Eggs

This Page

has been moved to new address

Lazy Sunday: Baked Dippy Eggs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Lazy Sunday: Baked Dippy Eggs

January 17, 2011

Lazy Sunday: Baked Dippy Eggs

Yesterday I had a healthy breakfast when I made my Ultimate Granola, so today called for some salty breakfast goodness. I wanted a different take on the classic bacon and eggs so I grabbed all the mouth-watering flavours from my fridge and chopped and layered my way to Baked Eggs. The best lazy Sunday breakfast imaginable.

This is a brilliant option if you have guests dropping by for brunch and want an easy answer to entertaining. This is also the perfect recipe for the weekend morning when everything is moving in slow motion and you want a fuss-free, flavourful breakfast to wake up your senses. This is the best alarm clock I know.
I often wax on about my love of bacon. If it was up to me bacon would be classified in its own food group. There's something about about that salty, crispy thing I call love. And this recipe allows me to mix bacon with some great flavours for an incredibly easy and delicious breakfast option. Simple can be better.

The baked eggs I made this morning mix and match the flavours I love. I reach into my fridge and pantry and find the flavours that talk to me. The ones I turn to when need a something special to help start my day. On this day that's a slice of baguette that's crispy at the edges and soft in the middle, salty bacon, aromatic basil, slightly runny eggs and Parmesan that oozes over the edges. It's perfect, for me.

The great thing about this dish is the versatility it gives you. You can play with what you have in stock at home and create your own version. I've thrown together variations in the past, from fennel and peppers to arugula and prosciutto to ham and tomatoes. Trust me, this is the breakfast you'll want to rely on when you want a change to your weekend routine. The one ramekin wonder.

The next time you wake up late on a weekend morning and want something simple and tasty, try this. If you have company coming by and want an easy option, this is your recipe. You can prep and layer early in the day and break the egg last second. Than you can greet your guests and enjoy their company while this dish does the work for you? Easy, right? I think so.

From my kitchen to yours,


Baked Dippy Eggs

The Goods:
  • 2 slices of bacon, cooked and cut into quarters
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tbsp. heavy cream
  • 1 slice baguette, slightly toasted
  • 1 tbsp. basil, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Parmesan, coarsely grated
Prep:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until slightly crisp and transfer to paper towels. Slice the baguette toast until barely brown in a toaster or the oven.
  2. Grease an 8 oz. ramekin with butter and place one baguette slice at the bottom. You might have to push it in to fit. Sprinkle basil over top and layer the bacon pieces around the perimeter, leaving a well in the middle for the egg.
  3. Gently crack the egg into the well, making sure not to break the egg. Drizzle the cream over top and season to taste. Sprinkle Parmesan over top.
  4. Bake the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 14 minutes. Keep checking after 10 minutes, you don't want your yolks to overcook.
  5. Remove from oven and serve.


**This post made Foodbuzz Top 9!  Thanks for the buzz love.

Labels: , , , ,

32 Comments:

At January 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I have two words for you... Dee Lishus!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Annie's Dish said...

Omg! I am making these this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

OMG. Genius! LOL. Eggs, bacon, cream...what's NOT to love?

BTW, I've had that dang song stuck in my head for a couple days now. Thanks. :-p

 
At January 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

Oh that's brilliant Michael! I love it!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Annie!! You'll love the simplicity. You can eat pre-cook the bacon the night before to make the morning super easy!

Stephanie, as long as bacon is involved it's brilliant! ha Thank you! And if it makes you feel better, it's been in my head for weeks.

Kate, you're too kind. Thanks for coming back again and again. I truly appreciate it.

 
At January 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Shari from GoodFoodWeek said...

This post caught my eye as my 6 month old niece (and her almost 30 year old father) are in love with dippy eggs. But the plain kind - boil an egg so that the yoke is still runny and eat with toast soldiers. This recipe will be a must try in our family (and I'm guessing it will turn into a family favourite), as we introduce an adult pallet.

Shari from www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

 
At January 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Christina said...

That looks so good that I'm tempted to try to dip a piece of toast into my computer screen right now...YUM!!!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Shari, that's so great! I really hope your niece likes it and your family turns to it from time to time. Thank you! Great comment!

Christina, that's priceless! I've been tempted like that in my life as well!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Kori said...

What a cute breakfast! And a delicious one I'm sure too. Great idea!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Angela said...

Heavy cream and eggs? Yes. This looks lovely.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 2:52 AM , Blogger something_good said...

eggs en cocotte! my favorite breakfast.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Wendy Lewicki said...

I love you and your recipes! Keep rocking your writing and cooking.

With admiration, your loving wife.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oof, this looks incredible! Great idea. Yummy runny center eggs. :)

 
At January 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Kori. It was definitely delicious and so much less to clean up. win-win.

Thanks Angela! Those are two of my favourite ingredients as well!

Thanks for dropping in SG!!

F&F, thank you so much. It's all about the runny yolk. :)

 
At January 19, 2011 at 3:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm perfect for a weekend lunch... think my bf would be very happy if I made him this!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the Top 9. I can't wait to make this. It's 9:30 am and my frozen bagel that I brought to work is looking pretty lame right now.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

I have the hardest time getting my baked eggs to the right level of doneness. It seems the whites never want to set fully until the yolks are hard. But the recipe I use is different from yours, so I'm going to give this a try and see if I can't finally crack it!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

MB, thank you! I'm sure he'd love it and you can add in all the stuff he likes.

Thanks Michelle. Let me know how it turns out! I hope you like it.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Uh. This looks yummy. Gonna make my boyfriend eat it, even though he doesn't like bacon! And great music! I was really confused of why I was hearing Neon Trees right after I tabbed into your blog.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this... looks delicious!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Melissa, thank you kindly. You don't have to use bacon if he doesn't like it. You can substitute no problem.

Jenny, thanks! Let me know how it goes!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, but how do you turn off the music on this site? I don't mind the autoplay so much, as long as I can find a mute button.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Gloria. You can mute your volume or about 3/4's of the way down the right side there's a mixpod. It looks like an Ipod. You can stop it there.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was perfect, thank you. :-)

 
At January 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM , Blogger NovaChic said...

Tried this morning, as a test, for a brunch tomorrow. Really great recipe. Looks like you can use a 6 oz. ramekin. Thanks!

 
At January 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you! You can really do this any way you want. That includes ramekin size. I just make sure the egg sits near the top so it can cook quickly. Have a great brunch tomorrow! Any questions, let me know.

 
At January 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM , Blogger Wanting What I Have said...

Absolute brilliance! And I'm with you - bacon needs a food group unto itself!

 
At January 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you so kindly! There's enough of us to make this bacon thing happen! Thanks for dropping in.

 
At January 24, 2011 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

This looks sinfully delicious!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Rachel! That's a good thing.

 
At March 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foг newest neωs you hаvе
to visit wοrld-wide-wеb аnd on the web I fοunԁ this web page аs a fineѕt sіte fоr mοѕt recent upԁates.



Feеl free to vіѕit my blog; http://www.exchangesignals.com/JanellStr

 
At March 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that rеspect аre many Posting numeration strategіes - Do you Reckon Libeгаtе online games Come ԁown prey to them?

In oгԁinаtiοn to Expeгіеnce a games besides have
fourth dimension factoг. At that ρlace arе many
free onlinе gameѕ build from slit thе scгeenρlay
it had written and artiѕtіc waу that had woгn.


Alѕo visit mу site ... game

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home