Puréed Squash and Pear Soup
I always passed on salad in favour of soup growing up. Always. When there was an option, mine was clear. And when the months on the calendar changed to autumn or winter, my decisions were more steadfast than ever. My parents could order for me with reckless abandon knowing that I'd be happy with any bowl of soup showing up at my table. Wait, not that fast. I had my limitations.
While there were a few soups that I turned my nose up (after all, I had the palette of a sixth-grader) most were perfectly welcome on my table. There was something especially comforting about the aroma and flavours packed in each round serving vessel. Something that always felt like home, no matter where I was.
As time has passed and the months on the calendar have given way to years, my love of soul-warming, mouth-watering soup has only flourished. I love experimenting with flavours and spices and seasonal goodies. It doesn't always turn out the way I want but when it does, I'm rewarded over and over again.
This is a play on one of my favourite cold-weather soups. It's easy to make, ridiculously tasty and it's popular with my family. The pear is tart and refreshing and balances the sweetness of the squash perfectly. There is a deeply satisfying warmth that carries you through the day.
I love roasting the vegetables with a liberal amount of seasoning and butter. Once roasted, the soft, almost mushy vegetables are the perfect shape for a trip through the blender. With a bit of help from the stock, the puree is liquefied and ready for the stockpot.
Once inside the hot confines of the pot, I allow the heat to delicately reach every ounce of the soup. I can play with the thickness that suits my palate on this day and adjust as necessary. A quick pass through a sieve and I'm ready for the table
I love this soup as is or I'll serve it with a dollop of sour cream and some toasted squash seeds and chives. I also love to escape to a corner of my home with a good book and a moment of solitude and relax and enjoy the moment.
From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!
|All set up and ready to go!|
Pureed Squash and Pear Soup
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 cup diced Bartlett pear
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 celery, chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. all-spice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream, garnish
- 3 tbsp. toasted squash seeds, garnish
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped, garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the squash, pear, onions, celery and garlic on a baking sheet and season with coarse sea salt and pepper and spread bits of butter throughout. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Move to a blender and puree until completely liquid, adding as much of the stock as necessary.
- In a stockpot,combine the puree with the rest of the stock and heat. Find the correct thickness and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives. Place the toasted seeds on top.