> Verses from my Kitchen: Puréed Squash and Pear Soup

This Page

has been moved to new address

Puréed Squash and Pear Soup

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Puréed Squash and Pear Soup

January 2, 2011

Puréed Squash and Pear Soup



I always passed on salad in favour of soup growing up. Always. When there was an option, mine was clear. And when the months on the calendar changed to autumn or winter, my decisions were more steadfast than ever. My parents could order for me with reckless abandon knowing that I'd be happy with any bowl of soup showing up at my table. Wait, not that fast. I had my limitations.

While there were a few soups that I turned my nose up (after all, I had the palette of a sixth-grader) most were perfectly welcome on my table. There was something especially comforting about the aroma and flavours packed in each round serving vessel. Something that always felt like home, no matter where I was.

As time has passed and the months on the calendar have given way to years, my love of soul-warming, mouth-watering soup has only flourished. I love experimenting with flavours and spices and seasonal goodies. It doesn't always turn out the way I want but when it does, I'm rewarded over and over again.

This is a play on one of my favourite cold-weather soups. It's easy to make, ridiculously tasty and it's popular with my family. The pear is tart and refreshing and balances the sweetness of the squash perfectly. There is a deeply satisfying warmth that carries you through the day.

I love roasting the vegetables with a liberal amount of seasoning and butter. Once roasted, the soft, almost mushy vegetables are the perfect shape for a trip through the blender. With a bit of help from the stock, the puree is liquefied and ready for the stockpot. 



Once inside the hot confines of the pot, I allow the heat to delicately reach every ounce of the soup. I can play with the thickness that suits my palate on this day and adjust as necessary. A quick pass through a sieve and I'm ready for the table

I love this soup as is or I'll serve it with a dollop of sour cream and some toasted squash seeds and chives. I also love to escape to a corner of my home with a good book and a moment of solitude and relax and enjoy the moment.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!


All set up and ready to go!




Pureed Squash and Pear Soup

The Goods:

  • 1 cup diced butternut squash
  • 1 cup diced Bartlett pear
  • 1 cup chopped white onions
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 celery, chopped
  • 4 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. all-spice
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup sour cream, garnish
  • 3 tbsp. toasted squash seeds, garnish
  • 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped, garnish

Prep:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Place the squash, pear, onions, celery and garlic on a baking sheet and season with coarse sea salt and pepper and spread bits of butter throughout. Bake for 30 minutes.
  3. Move to a blender and puree until completely liquid, adding as much of the stock as necessary.
  4. In a stockpot,combine the puree with the rest of the stock and heat. Find the correct thickness and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
  5. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
  6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives. Place the toasted seeds on top.
It's showtime! 
**This post made Foodbuzz Top 9! 

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At January 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Falcondeals said...

Your steps are so well explained.

Thanks,
Mini

 
At January 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

This soup sounds delicious. I'll have to pick up some butternut squash to try it.

 
At January 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

The photos are beautiful and the soup sounds amazing! I love that bowl!

 
At January 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Samantha said...

how much does this serve???
looks delicious!

Samantha
http://flavorator.blogspot.com/

 
At January 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful soup...love creamy soups:)

 
At January 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Mini, thank you so much! Very kind.

Crumbs, I hope you enjoy it when you get around to picking up some squash!

DH,thank you. I love the bowl as well!

Samantha, I would say 4 full servings and 6-8 starter sizes, depending on the size of course. And thank you.

Wandering Spoon, thank for the comment. I prefer them that way as well.

 
At January 4, 2011 at 4:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

delicious...gotta make one of these before we can't get squash anymore....pear is a good combo too! :)

 
At January 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Let me know when you do! Thanks for the comment!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Shannon Buck said...

Congrats on making Foodbuzz Top 9...well deserved!!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM , Blogger TiffKey said...

I also roast my pear when I make butternut squash soup! Great minds think alike!!!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Sounds perfect for cold days like these... great looking soup!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Smart Girl, thank you. I don't know if it was deserved or not but i'll take it!

Tiffkey, thanks so much. That's what they say, don't they? :)

Jessica, it hit the spot the other day when it was cold1! Thank you so kindly.

 
At March 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

I've certainly had squash and apple soup, but pear is such a wonderful pairing! Beautiful post!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home