Holiday Party Bites: Smoked Salmon Spread and Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates
If it's one of the lucky nights we merely need to freshen up and head out for a night of holiday festivities and banter at a friend's house. And yes, they'll be plenty of moments just like this in the next couple of weeks. But what if you have a few people dropping in for a cocktail and snack and you only have an hour to spare?
I have a couple of quick-fix options guaranteed to solve your problems. Two really tasty bites that will have your friends clamoring for next year's holiday invite. The best part of all? They're easy and quick to make. They're also loaded with flavour!
The first snack perfect for a holiday get together is a Smoked Salmon Spread great on either fresh Rye or Brioche. A few simple ingredients that come together in a sophisticated punch. Smoked salmon, fresh dill and horseradish are just a few of the ingredients that add to the aroma and taste with this snack. It also has a zing and great texture.
Another stress-free small bite is Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates. Crispy bacon wrapped tightly around a sweet, chewy date stuffed with creamy goat cheese. And if that wasn't all, it's topped with a drizzle of honey that adds yet another flavour dimension to this outstanding appetizer. These will be gone if you blink. Make as many as you think you'll need and than make more.
Two apps both done in a flash and neither require a lot of effort. Both of these are sure to elicit compliments and you'll be happy that you had time to spare to pour a holiday cocktail. For you.
Smoked Salmon Spread
6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
2 tbsp. capers, minced
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 tbsp. chives, chopped
4 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
1 loaf brioche or rye
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, juice, zest, dill, horseradish, chives, capers and salt & pepper. Add the smoked salmon and mix well.
3. Slice bread 1/2" thick on diagonal and brush with oil. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Spread smoked salmon spread on each toast and garnish with a piece of fresh dill. Serve.
|Smoked Salmon Spread on Rye|
12 large dates, pitted
6 slices bacon, sliced in half
1/2 cup goat cheese
honey, to drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is warming up, prep the rest of the ingredients. Cut a slit lengthwise in the dates. Stuff each one with 1/2 tsp. of goat cheese. Close the dates.
2. Pre-cook the bacon for about 10 minutes until cooked but still flexible enough to work with. Wrap each date with half a slice of bacon and arrange seam side down on a baking sheet. Drizzle each piece with honey.
3. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the honey gooey.
4. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
|Crisp Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Dates|