I was left to my own devices this morning. My wife was up early and off to a blowout holiday makeup sale just outside Toronto with a friend. The things we do for the things we love. After I waved goodbye I headed to the kitchen. There was a bit of work to be done. No, really. I tidied up, emptied the dishwasher and quickly realized how hungry I was. I think it was the pangs that did it.
I've made potato fritters countless times before. This time, however, I needed to indulge and satisfy that sweet tooth craving. I thought of the perfect combination of ingredients and flavours that would do the trick. It was so simple I'm baffled as to why I didn't do this before. A bit sweet and savoury. All delicious.
This was sweet enough to pull off as a dessert but it would work really well as a brunch item. Either way, I had it for breakfast and it was exactly what I needed. It had great texture, great flavour and a killer aroma. If my wife wasn't in the Christmas spirit before she left she sure will be when she walks in the house. It smells like the holidays in here!
Sweet Apple and Carrot Latke
4 large carrots, peeled and grated
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
1 small onion, grated
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 lg. egg
sea salt and cracked pepper
2 tbsp. creme fraiche (sour cream will suffice), garnish
1 tsp. cinnamon, garnish
oil, for frying
1. First, add carrots to boiling water until softened, about 5 minutes
2. In a large bowl, combine grated apples, onion and carrots. Add the egg, cinnamon and season. Stir well to combine.
3. Combine oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter and place in the pan. Flatten with a spatula to about 1/2" thickness. Repeat with more latkes in the pan without crowding. Cook for 4-6 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Flip and repeat.
4. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining batter.
5. Plate the latkes and garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche and a pinch of cinnamon.
|Sweet Apple and Carrot Latkes with Creme Fraiche and Cinnamon|
(Sorry for the image quality, it was taken on my Iphone)
Labels: apple, brunch, carrots, latke