Chocolate Crinkles with Sambuca and Coffee Extract
I'm going to keep this short and sweet today. And what's sweeter than a last minute cookie recipe to make for your family for the holidays. Nothing says happy holidays like a batch of chocolate crinkles, specifically a batch of grown-up cookies with hints of coffee and licorice. It adds to the flavour and texture profiles.
The only way to ensure a chewy, domed batch of crinkled goodies is to refrigerate them for a few hours. Chilling the cookie dough allows them to hold their shape and the chewy texture is properly attained. The extra few hours in the prep time only enhance the finished batch and it's definitely worth the wait.
|Ready, set and go. These are ready for the oven!|
- 1 tbsp.unsalted butter
- 250 grams semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup Sambuca
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. coffee extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup icing sugar
- Using a metal bowl over a medium pot with 2 inches of simmer water, add the butter. Stir until melted and dd the chopped chocolate. Stir until just melted and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the eggs with sugar, vanilla, Sambuca and coffee extract until both pale and thick, about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the egg mixture until incorporated. Stir in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3-4 hours before baking.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spoon the cookie batter by tablespoons and roll gently to shape into a 1" ball. Roll the cookie in icing sugar until completely covered. Place gently on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until you lift a cookie off the tray and it comes off cleanly.
|Crinkles have a lovely crisp exterior and a soft and chewy middle. Fudge heaven.|
|These cookies make fantastic gifts! If you don't eat them all first!|