> Verses from my Kitchen: Dark Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups

This Page

has been moved to new address

Dark Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Dark Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups

December 17, 2010

Dark Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups


Peanut butter and chocolate. I'm beginning to salivate just hearing those words. What a great combination of flavours. No, not great. Amazing. I know this to be true because a simple Internet search produces countless recipes and variations using both of these ingredients together. That's how they roll. Together. It's classic, really. Peanut butter and chocolate. Anything.

I'm throwing down an admission. Since I was a kid I've loved candy bars. I could debate the merits of one over another. I had a top 5 list even. Guess what? Reese's Peanut Butter Cups didn't make that cut. Not even close. The store-bought variety just didn't match up with the nuggets and caramel and gooey goodness.

Ask anybody you know what their favourite chocolate bar is and nobody is going to say Reese's Peanut Butter. Nobody. You'll get an assortment of goodies but not this one. On another note, if anybody throws out Big Turk immediately cut them from your contact list and disqualify them as your friend. Why? It's pretty clear.

However, there is something truly wonderful about making these treats at home. Start by using dark chocolate with 70 percent or more pure cocoa to reap the benefits of flavonoids. That's right, this chocolate is good for you. Don't eat half a dozen of them or you lose the health benefits. The combination of the creamy, rich peanut butter mixture and the sweet, blissful dark chocolate play incredibly well off each other. That smooth centre filling with that sweet crunchy top. Yes, please.

Make these from home and try for yourself. They elevate a standard candy bar up a few notches, maybe more. The first bite alongside a cup of hot cocoa and you'll be hooked. It's the perfect weekend afternoon treat! It's the perfect candy bar.


Dark Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Cups

The Goods:
  • 8 ounces of 70% dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tbsp. powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla
  • 6 paper muffin cup liners
Prep:
  1. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, combine graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, peanut butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Mix until well combined and and smooth.
  2. Melt chocolate in a bowl place atop a small pot of simmering. (do not let the bowl touch the water)
  3. Brush the melted chocolate onto the sides and bottom of muffin cups. Place them in a standard muffin tin for ease of use. Brush a thick layer on the bottom and sides. Place in the fridge until hard.
  4. Spoon peanut butter mixture inside the cups leaving some space at the top. Pour a thick layer of melted chocolate over the top so the edges of chocolate match up and form a seal.
  5. Put back in the fridge and wait until the tops have set.
  6. Peel back the muffin liners and serve.

Dark chocolate on top of a peanut butter mixture base. Yum!



Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At December 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Mmmm, I do love a good PB cup, and I love the ones with dark chocolate. Nice work! I had to giggle at the Big Turk comment. What the heck IS that stuff anyway???

 
At December 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favorite flavors! Yum.

 
At December 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

I love the dark chocolate PB cups! I made some yesterday with milk chocolate because they were ordered that way, but I would've loved to have them with dark chocolate!

 
At December 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

@Carolyn: I don't have the faintest idea about the BIg Turk. There's more mystery there than in any Caramilk bar. Cover-up probably. ;)

@ FandF: I love these flavours too! Thanks for paying a visit!

@ Diethood: I love the milk choco ones as well! Some days just call for the dark stuff!

 
At December 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

Chocolate & PB is my favorite combo! I always wanted to make my own but the whole candy-making process seems so daunting. Your recipe sounds very user friendly!

 
At December 19, 2010 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Wilde! Love the combo too! You could definitely do this, no problem. Thanks for commenting.

 
At December 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such pretty pictures! Love the recipe!

 
At December 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

Wonderful treats and I love the dark chocolate top.

 
At December 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

I love them as well and I appreciate the comment, thank you!

 
At May 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Anonymous Michelle said...

These look amazing, AND I have all these ingredients at home! SO going to try this. I'd be interested to hear what your top 5 chocolate bars are. Crunchie was a childhood favourite, though after eating too many of them you could actually feel your taste buds begin to dissolve away.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home