> Verses from my Kitchen: Simple Sunday: Brioche French Toast with Fresh Raspberry Sauce

This Page

has been moved to new address

Simple Sunday: Brioche French Toast with Fresh Raspberry Sauce

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Simple Sunday: Brioche French Toast with Fresh Raspberry Sauce

December 21, 2010

Simple Sunday: Brioche French Toast with Fresh Raspberry Sauce

As a child I lived the good life. If I had to describe it I'd say it was like a breezy Sunday morning in late summer. I didn't have to think about food, it just appeared. It was like magic, only better. I would flip the channels and the food would appear on a plate in front of me. The Amazing Kreskin had nothing on me.

Every summer and periodically throughout the year I would visit my grandparent's. During the longer, warmer days I would stay for a week or two. It felt like an eternity but I never wanted the days to end. Each morning after waking, which grew later and later as I aged, my grandmother would ask me if I wanted breakfast. I always nodded. I knew what was coming next. The best french toast this young boy ever tasted.


Times are different now. My grandmother has long since passed and I make my own meals. I also have carte blanche on what I'm going to eat. I'm not limited to certain food groups and I don't always have to eat french toast. I have a plethora of options now. Yet it's not as simple as those days.

Every weekend morning I'm faced with a dilemma. The same internal debate ensues. Do I want something salty for breakfast or do I want something sweet. Do I feel like classic bacon and eggs or do I want to make buttermilk pancakes or french toast. This time, the decision was easy. With a breakfast recipe this good it's hard to resist the sweet temptation.

The thought of soft and tender brioche bread soaked in frothy eggs was enough for me. But why stop there when I have some plump raspberries at hand. I was dreaming already. Sweet raspberries puréed until almost syrupy and poured over light and fluffy golden french toast.  The perfect answer to my lazy Sunday questions.

Now the key to really good french toast is leaving the bread in the egg mixture long enough to absorb all of the liquid. I tend to leave it for a good minute each side. The brioche is a bit delicate after that long bath so bring the bread over to the hot pan in the dish you were working in.

Next up is the rule to a well-cooked french toast. Cooking it over a nice medium heat should do it, remembering you don't want the pan too hot. You want french toast to be golden delicious on the outside but also satisfied that the inside cooks completely. Once they're nice and golden brown on both sides you can bring them to the plate.


A couple of golden delicious pieces of french toast!

This is what you're left with. Two soft but crisp pieces of french toast popping with flavour and studded with raspberries. The fresh raspberry puree swimming all around is the perfect sauce to dip your bread into. It's an explosion of breakfast love.

Happy Eating!


Brioche French Toast with Fresh Raspberry Sauce:

The Goods:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 4 thick slices of brioche
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 2 tbsp. icing sugar (plus some for garnish)
Prep:
  1. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl. Place the brioche in a shallow dish and pour over the egg mixture. Let rest for a good minute per side, until the eggs are fully absorbed.
  2. Melt the butter in a large heavy pan over medium heat. Add the brioche slices and cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown and heated all the way through. Immediately sprinkle the cinnamon over top.
  3. For the berry sauce, place the raspberries and sugar in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine sieve and pour into a bowl. Add the remaining berries and stir to combine.
  4. Serve.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At December 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Evan B said...

I've been wanting to make my own brioche for some time now.. as soon as I do, I'm going to be using this french toast recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At December 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks amazing!

 
At December 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Evan, making your own and flipping this out would be fantastic! I hope you like it when you make it!

Ravie, thank you. Luckily it tastes as good as it looks!

 
At December 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

Oh this looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At December 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Reshma Seetharam said...

Great blog, and lovely toast! I will surely try it with some fresh cherries I have. Thanks!
Myfoodarama.com

 
At December 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM , Blogger briarrose said...

French toast....tasty! Love the sauce.

 
At December 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks DH! And you're welcome!

Thanks for the kind words, Reshma! Cherries would be great.

Briarrose, thank you. Simple to make as well, which is a bonus!

 
At December 23, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Tes said...

Wow this sounds like a perfect breakfast :) I need to try this. Raspberry is my favourite.
Tes
http://tesathome.com

 
At December 24, 2010 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Mmmm, fantastic! A wonderful breakfast treat. I love your description of your days at your grandparents, I can feel how long and lazy those summer days would be.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home