> Verses from my Kitchen: Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg: My Christmas Leftover Breakfast

This Page

has been moved to new address

Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg: My Christmas Leftover Breakfast

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg: My Christmas Leftover Breakfast

December 27, 2010

Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg: My Christmas Leftover Breakfast



First off, let's get the name out of the way. If you're not English, Australian or from another Commonwealth country than you're probably utterly perplexed. Perfect. Bubble and Squeak is a dish originally made up of leftover meat and cabbage fried up together. Today, the meat is often replaced with potatoes. 

The dish is now a lovely mashed potato cake with various vegetables added in. Usually cabbage and spring onions but also brussel sprouts or winter greens. It gets its name from the sounds made when cooking. Simple, right? I can hear a collective "Aha" moment happening right now.

We all face the same leftover issues. I have Christmas Dinner on two straight days. Everybody rushes for the turkey and leaves behind all those other tempting goodies. The mashed potatoes get thrown out, as do the brussel sprouts and other veggies. What a shame. With just a little bit of love you can turn those forgotten dinner side dishes into a fabulous breakfast with your family.

The truth is, Christmas leftovers are brilliant in this British classic. Get ready to let the joyful indulgence continue. You'll love these leftovers so much that you'll make your own mashed potatoes at home just to make this. Trust me. They're that good.

The cakes in this recipe are similar to traditional potato cakes but instead start with mashed potatoes. The difference is the sublime, chewy texture of these British cakes. They're also riddled with flavour in each and every bite.

So the next time you get together for a holiday dinner, run for the leftover potatoes. Within a few minute and a few twists you'll have a lovely breakfast to enjoy with your family all over again. That is if you can wait that long.





Happy leftover Eating!


Bubble and Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg

Yields: 2

The Goods:
  • 1 small bunch green onions, sliced on the bias
  • knob of butter
  • 4 large potatoes (peeled, cooked and roughly mashed)
  • 1 cup cabbage, shredded and cooked
  • small bunch parsley, chopped
  • a bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • olive oil
  • 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 poached eggs
Prep:

  1. In a large pan over medium heat, cook half of the green onions in butter for a minute. Add in the potatoes, cabbage, parsley and half of the cilantro. Season liberally and form into 4 small cakes.
  2. Over medium heat, fry the cakes in butter and olive oil for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crisp.
  3.  To make the salsa, mix the other half of the cilantro and green onions with the tomatoes, 1 tbsp olive oil and white wine vinegar. Season.
  4. Serve two cakes per plate topped with a poached egg and tomato salsa on the side.
 
** This post made Foodbuzz Top 9!

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At December 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM , Blogger katie said...

I cannot wait to try this, the poached egg on top looks amazing. I love a poached egg on just about anything, my fave thing is poached egg on crabcakes, I am guessing this would be quite similar.

 
At December 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

That's some fancy leftovers there! ;-) Looks incredible!

 
At December 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

looks so good

 
At December 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I was a little perplexed at the title haha, I had no idea what that even was. However, it does sound super amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us!

 
At December 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Katie, you can't go wrong with poached eggs on anything! I'm sure the texture would be similar.

DH, i'm not the biggest fan of leftovers but this one works it well!

Ravie, you're not the only one. Typical Brit slang. It's a great way to use up leftovers in breakfast! Thanks.

 
At December 29, 2010 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Linn said...

It makes me so happy every time I read something that is sooo different from the food that I'm usually making. Like this one! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try making this sometime.

 
At December 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is such a riot! I, too, just put together Bubble and Squeak using the leftovers in my fridge ... however, I went with a dinner twist! Ah... inspired leftovers! Great post! Great Top 9 offering!

 
At December 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Gerald said...

looks good & delicious.. ^^
Conggratulations Top.9

 
At December 30, 2010 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Shannon Buck said...

Bubble and Squeak is such a cool name! Congrats on making Food Buzz Top 9!!!

 
At December 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Linn. I try the standard fare as much as anybody but certainly like to push the norm. Love your videos, btw!

TheSpiceGarden, it is a riot! I saw your bubble & squeak as well. Graet minds..

Thanks Gerald! I appreciate it!

Smart Girl, thanks for the compliment!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home