> Verses from my Kitchen: Blackberry & Pear Crumbles

This Page

has been moved to new address

Blackberry & Pear Crumbles

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Blackberry & Pear Crumbles

January 4, 2011

Blackberry & Pear Crumbles



I have a sweet tooth. Or three. I love being home on a cold afternoon and making something hot and sweet to satisfy my cravings for both. The idea that a simple recipe with minimal ingredients could transform into something outrageously tasty, decadent and warm is even more tantalizing. How could I resist? How could you?

This is one of those simple desserts that requires very little effort and absolutely no baking experience. Sound tempting yet? Just wait. The prep work takes about 10 minutes, which is the perfect amount of time for your oven to preheat. After the prep it's a simple trip to the oven and the transformation is nearly complete. Have some patience, it'll be worth it.

In this recipe I prefer sweating the pears with sugar until both bubbly and soft. The resulting taste is only enhanced with the tartness of the blackberries. Once slightly caramelized and soft I spoon the fruit into the base of my cooking pot. The fruit lay beneath a blanket of flour, butter and brown sugar with some tasty, crunchy pistachio nuts mixed in.

The juices from the blackberries are extracted during the cooking process and are sweet and slightly tangy. The combination of the berries and the golden pears are especially lovely when crowned with this golden crumb mixture. A great contrast in textures and flavours. A great way to spend a cold afternoon inside.

The first bite will be enough to win you over. Believe me, it's that easy and it's that good. I made this for an impromptu visit New Year's Eve to our neighbours up the street and they absolutely loved it.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!

Blackberry & Pear Crumbles

Yields: 2

The Goods:
  • 2 large ripe pears, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 package blackberries, about 1 cup
  • 4 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • small handful pistachios, rough chop

Prep:
  • Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Place the chopped pears in a medium saute pan and add the sugar. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, enough time for the pear bits to soften and release their juices.
  • Add the blackberries and bring back up to medium heat and mix together. Remove from the stove.
  • Place the crumble mixture into a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until fully combined and coarse. Add the pistachio pieces and stir.
  • Spoon the fruit mixture into 2 individual ramekins or a larger ovenproof dish. 
  • Sprinkle the crumble even over top. 
    • Bake for 45 minutes or until the juices start to run up and over the edge and the crumble mixture is golden brown.
    • Serve alone or with ice cream.





      **This post made Foodbuzz Top 9!  It was the first time I reached #1.

      Labels: , , , ,

      29 Comments:

      At January 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Laura said...

      I must try this...

       
      At January 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

      Laura, it's really simple. You'll love it!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Laura said...

      Oh I'm so going to try it!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Laura said...

      wait...do you have to do anything special when making the crumble part - I mean, butter at room temperature, does it have to be cut in or?

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

      I love crisps and crumbles and I love the flavour combination here. So buzzing this!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

      This looks delicious. I love a nice warm crumble, especially with a little vanilla ice cream on top.

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Steph said...

      Crumbles are my favorite! They're so easy to make and have nedless possibilities. Not to mention that they go really good with ice cream!

      I also love your bowls!! Where did you get them?

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Asta said...

      I love blackberries. And I sometimes think that all my teeth are sweet :)
      Shall certainly try this out!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

      Thank you Carolyn. I so appreciate it!

      All that's left, thank you. Very kind!

      Steph, they really are so easy to make. By the way, I picked up four of those bowls for 25 cents. Steal of the century.

      Asta, me too! Maybe my favourite fruit. Enoy it!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Annie's Dish said...

      I never would have thought of using pears in a crumble but what a great idea! Pears are such an understated fruit and I am just now coming to realize that you can do more with them than just eat with brie.

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

      I've never tried the combination of fruits, but it sounds divine!!!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

      Oh that sounds sooo good! Great job! Would any type of pears work?

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

      Mmm, you had me at crumble. I love all desserts that include fruit and some sort of crumbly/baked topping. Perfect flavor combination!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

      Annie, pears are so much more versatile than they're given credit for. And thank you!

      Lizzy, they are! I hope you try it and be sure let me know how it went.

      DH, I don't see why not. Just make sure to use ripe ones. :)

      Wilde, I have the same love for all sweet desserts with baked toppings. Thanks for the comment.

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Veronica Culver said...

      Looks delicious! I love fresh fruit crumbles!

      -Veronica

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM , Blogger TiffKey said...

      This looks great! I do not like warm desserts. (I know, I know, I'm crazy!) but this would be great at room temp with ice cream!!!

       
      At January 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

      Awesome dessert. I love the ones that zip together so fast, but are just so wonderful. Sign me up for the scoop of ice cream on top.

       
      At January 6, 2011 at 2:17 AM , Blogger melissa said...

      I have to stop reading posts like this before bed! It sounds delicious!

       
      At January 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

      Thanks Veronica!

      Tiffkey, you are crazy. But that's ok :) And thank you.

      Briarrose, sign me up too. Cold and warm. Yum.

      MH, thanks. It probably leaves you feeling hungry when you wake up. That can be a good thing.

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 3:18 AM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

      Congratulations on the Top 9!

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

      Congrats on Top 9!!!

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Kori said...

      This is beautiful...and totally sounds delicious. I love the fruit combo and also the addition of pistachios!!!

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Peggy said...

      I definitely need to try this pronto! It looks absolutely beautiful!

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Lori Lynn said...

      Looks fabulous! Congrats on Top 9!
      LL

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Lauren said...

      What a beautiful dessert! Love the blackberry and pear combo :)

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Sprinkles of Parsley said...

      Congrats on top9!! This looks AMAZING!!

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Stella said...

      Yum! I just saw this in the F.B. icon of my sidebar-it looks so good. I could use some hot fruit cobbler right now...:)

       
      At January 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

      Thank you everyone! It's overwhelming to be honest. I truly appeciate everyone dropping in and leaving me a comment. A big thanks!!

       
      At January 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Blogger rtvg said...

      Tried it, it was great! If i have one comment its that perhaps the ingredients serve more people than the recipe suggests. I made it for a dinner party with four other people so i multiplied everything by 2 and it could easily serve 6.

       

      Post a Comment

      Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

      Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

      << Home