I have a sweet tooth. Or three. I love being home on a cold afternoon and making something hot and sweet to satisfy my cravings for both. The idea that a simple recipe with minimal ingredients could transform into something outrageously tasty, decadent and warm is even more tantalizing. How could I resist? How could you?
This is one of those simple desserts that requires very little effort and absolutely no baking experience. Sound tempting yet? Just wait. The prep work takes about 10 minutes, which is the perfect amount of time for your oven to preheat. After the prep it's a simple trip to the oven and the transformation is nearly complete. Have some patience, it'll be worth it.
In this recipe I prefer sweating the pears with sugar until both bubbly and soft. The resulting taste is only enhanced with the tartness of the blackberries. Once slightly caramelized and soft I spoon the fruit into the base of my cooking pot. The fruit lay beneath a blanket of flour, butter and brown sugar with some tasty, crunchy pistachio nuts mixed in.
The juices from the blackberries are extracted during the cooking process and are sweet and slightly tangy. The combination of the berries and the golden pears are especially lovely when crowned with this golden crumb mixture. A great contrast in textures and flavours. A great way to spend a cold afternoon inside.
The first bite will be enough to win you over. Believe me, it's that easy and it's that good. I made this for an impromptu visit New Year's Eve to our neighbours up the street and they absolutely loved it.
From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!
Blackberry & Pear Crumbles
- 2 large ripe pears, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 package blackberries, about 1 cup
- 4 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- small handful pistachios, rough chop
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chopped pears in a medium saute pan and add the sugar. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, enough time for the pear bits to soften and release their juices.
- Add the blackberries and bring back up to medium heat and mix together. Remove from the stove.
- Place the crumble mixture into a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until fully combined and coarse. Add the pistachio pieces and stir.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into 2 individual ramekins or a larger ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the crumble even over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the juices start to run up and over the edge and the crumble mixture is golden brown.
- Serve alone or with ice cream.
Labels: blackberries, crumble, dessert, pears, winter warmup