> Verses from my Kitchen: Fresh Tomato Pasta

This Page

has been moved to new address

Fresh Tomato Pasta

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Fresh Tomato Pasta

September 14, 2010

Fresh Tomato Pasta

You can call it whatever you like. Comfort food, soul food or anything else you wish. The name doesn't matter as much as the food you're making does. I hit the kitchen and drum up something that suits my wife and I and then I put it on a plate. It doesn't need a label or tag or title. I just call it dinner.

Sometimes the best meals you make are the easiest. A few ingredients that play well off each other and invade each other and make an ordinary meal something special and something to remember. I know you can't hit the ball out of the park every single time you get to work in your kitchen, but you can go down swinging. That's what I try to do every single time I lay foot near my fridge and stove. I have my triangle to guide me. My prep station, my fridge and my stove. A few small steps and all within my reach. 

Tonight I wanted to use up the super fresh yellow tomatoes we picked up at the market on the weekend. I wanted a quick and easy meal that was sure to elicit a smile and a comment from my wife. I wanted pasta with a merely a few outstanding ingredients that I know marry well together in a bowl.  I'm talking about Market Fresh Tomato Pasta. You'll never think of pasta the same way again.

The flavours are classic and the result is the same every single time you make it. Tomatoes with garlic, oil and basil always deliver a fresh, great taste that has immediate impact on the food you're making and a greater impact on your palette. I turn to these simple ingredients whenever I want food packed with flavour and whenever I want a dinner that will never disappoint.

Make this recipe and you'll be telling the same story I am and you'll have your family smiling from ear to ear! 

Market Fresh Tomato Pasta

Serves: 2

Ingredients:
8  vine-ripened tomatoes (I prefer yellow when I can get my hands on them)
1 good pinch of sea salt & cracked pepper
1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 lemon, juice and zest
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Handful of basil leaves, torn
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Spaghetti
Parmigiano Reggiano (to serve)

Preparation:
1. Slit a cross in the base of each tomato and place them in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over top and drain after 10 seconds. Peel away the skin and halve the tomatoes. Press each half by hand and squeeze out the excess juice and remaining seeds. Chop tomato roughly and place in a sieve over a bowl and sprinkle with the sea salt. Leave to drain for 20 minutes. (if you don't have a sieve, place the chopped tomatoes in a strainer and season with salt and rest for 20 mins.)
2. Place the drained tomatoes in a bowl and add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, garlic, cayenne and pepper. Stir ingredients and leave to sit for 15 minutes while the pasta comes to a boil and cooks.
3. Cook the spaghetti to your liking in rapidly boiling salted water and drain well. Toss the tomatoes and sauce, minus the crushed garlic, and add basil and the pasta. Mix well.
4. Serve with freshly shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.

Everything you need!



Tomatoes marinating and waiting for the pasta!



Fresh Tomato Pasta aka Dinner!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home