> Verses from my Kitchen: Kahlua Chocolate Pots de Creme & Thyme Whipped Cream

This Page

has been moved to new address

Kahlua Chocolate Pots de Creme & Thyme Whipped Cream

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Kahlua Chocolate Pots de Creme & Thyme Whipped Cream

February 3, 2011

Kahlua Chocolate Pots de Creme & Thyme Whipped Cream



This is my lunchbox revival. A chance to remember the moments that are hard to forget. I can flip through the written pages in my mind to a time when chocolate pudding was synonymous with cafeterias and school lunches and being a kid. I can even remember the sound made when you pulled back the plastic lid on your pudding like it was yesterday. I lived for lunchtime. Dessert time.


Growing up chocolate was my calling card. If Superman had kryptonite, I had that. It made me weak and foolish. If my mom needed something done around the house it would be followed with a threat of no dessert, no chocolate. I don't know if that's even legal. Certainly there's some unwritten parent code that you can't pull out the no-dessert comment to get something done. It doesn't even work.


Ok, it worked.




As the years have passed, the same bad good habits have followed me. I still need chocolate to pull me out of a funk and I can still be bribed with it. Sad. You would think I learned my lesson by now and be mentally strong enough to withstand it. I'm not. Luckily i'm the one making dinner and dessert now. I have a bit more say on the direction it takes.


I wanted to make something that satisfied my chocolate needs in a dessert that harks back to those younger, sometimes better days. This is my grown up version. A rich and thick pudding loaded with flavour that's like having a chocolate injection after dinner. 




This recipe is a traditional French custard. Although it often calls for dark chocolate,  I used milk-chocolate because it gives me a smooth and silky finish to the pudding. It's just a bit smoother which is the way I like it. It's the perfect dessert because the prep is quick and the presentation is easy. 


Enjoy this the next time you have guests coming over or surprise your partner with this on Valentine's Day (speaking of which, food and poetry is the best way to your partner's hear. See below). You can make it a couple days ahead of time serve them in countless different vessels. I used small coffee cups but the choice is yours.


From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!


Kahlua Chocolate Pots de Creme


The Goods:

  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 6 oz. milk-chocolate, chopped
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • whipped cream mix with 2 tbsp. finely chopped thyme, for garnish
  • Shaved chocolate, for garnish

Prep:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Add the chopped chocolate to a large bowl and let sit. Meanwhile, heat the cream and a pinch of salt in a saucepan until it just comes to a bowl. Remove from the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Once it cools slightly, add in the Kahlua and vanilla and stir.
  3. In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar to blend. Slowly add in the warm chocolate mixture while stirring often. Strain the entire mixture through a sieve into another bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
  4. Divide the mixture amongst 6 ramekins or cups 3/4 cup in size. Cover each with foil and place on a baking pan filled with hot water so the cups are half-immersed in water. 
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until set but middle moves slightly when shaken. Remove from the water and remove foil. 
  6. Cover each with plastic wrap and chill until cold, about 3 hours.
  7. Serves 6.




**Valentine's Day is right around the corner now. I'd like to think I won my wife over with my food, but that wasn't entirely the case. I wrote stories and poems to her, and in honour of the most romantic day of the year I give you this: the first poem I ever wrote to her.

Listening to jazz--
punctuated by falling rain
as it hits each window pane--
my mind wanders in and out of you,
curious, yet
cautious

I make excuses
why you're not quite for me
when really
I've no right to say--
but everyone before you
has ended in just
me,
so why should now be
any different?

Not that i'm looking for a
we--
not just yet, but
maybe
someday
when my heart finally decides
to fall for this mysterious woman
in the unwritten pages of my future,
when i'm no longer a fool for trying
because I don't have to try
I just have to be
me--

And then I'll be there
and one
with you
and we'll embrace
listening to jazz
punctuated by falling rain
as it hits each window pane--
and we'll laugh at how incomplete
the music was before us
and we'll weep at the beautiful harmony
we create--
you and me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

23 Comments:

At February 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I seriously wish you could send me some of these. It would be worth risking my high blood sugars, and going for a long run afterwards to work them off!

 
At February 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

I am stealing the thyme whipped cream recipe! You used fresh thyme, right?

 
At February 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Carolyn! It's definitely worth it, now if only I liked to run. Too bad shipping costs are so bloody expensive.

ES, be my guest. I hope you enjoy it! Yes, it was fresh thyme. It works equally well with fresh rosemary as well. Thank you!

 
At February 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great recipe:)

 
At February 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Steph said...

I love pots de creme...but with Kahlua, no we're talking. And those green cups really make these pots pop!

 
At February 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

WS, thank you.

Steph, I love them too. Kahlua helps any recipe, no? Thanks for the comment!

 
At February 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

We're all about chocolate in this household...and Kahlua is always a wonderful complement! Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe~

 
At February 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

Truly, a beautiful and best "verses from my kitchen!!"

 
At February 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I grew up in Australia and I was always so jealous hearing about schools in North America that had cafeterias. We only had soggy sandwiches from home. These little pots of goodness should make me feel better. I think for Valentine's Day I will just make an assortment of desserts from your site rather than worry about dinner :)

 
At February 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com said...

The thyme cream is what makes your treat intriguing. I like the idea of pairing it with a rich chocolate dessert.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Xiaolu said...

Oh my, this looks so fantastic! I am a huge Kahlua fan, and the thyme cream is fascinating. What a wonderful, unusual treat.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Lizzy, we love chocolate here as well. And I agree, a little Kahlua makes everything a bit better.

Thank you Felice. Soggy sandwiches are an awful memory of school days. You're too kind. Thank you!

Sanura, thank you. Intriguing is a good thing. And it works well with dark chocolate.

Xiaolu, it's unusual but it worked. Thank you so much!

 
At February 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM , Blogger melissa said...

oh how divine. I too, am easily bribed by chocolate.
also, I LOVE your green mugs! Where did you find them, if I may ask?

 
At February 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you! I buy props for the shots at antique shops, resale shops.I think I bought the set for 2 dollars. Thanks again!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 6:44 AM , Blogger foodieandthechef said...

I love your beautiful green cups! Thyme and chocolate... take me now!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you! When I picked them up I wasn't so sure but now I see the value in them. Thanks for the comment!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

You had me at Kahlua, my friend! But this is just such a perfect Valentine's Day dessert. Is there anything more romantic?

 
At February 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

I agree, Brian! It's the perfect romantic dessert for a day like that. Thank you! I appreciate the support.

 
At February 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Raw_Girl said...

Love your neon green crockery!!! We should be neighbors! :)

 
At February 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Thyme whipped cream sounds heavenly!

 
At February 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger briarrose said...

There are people that can resist the call of chocolate? ;)

Beautiful treat and I love the thyme flavored whipped cream.

 
At September 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Anonymous 4rx said...

I love to taste different desserts, specially when they contain chocolate and whipped cream. I hope to prepare it this next weekend, but there is not doubts I'm gonna need some help to do it.

 
At February 13, 2017 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am making these as we speak for our Valentines day service at the bar I work at. They look outstanding!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home