> Verses from my Kitchen: Orange & Mint Salad

This Page

has been moved to new address

Orange & Mint Salad

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Orange & Mint Salad

February 2, 2011

Orange & Mint Salad



Healthy. Refreshing. Flavourful. Did I mention healthy already? This is one of those salads that's incredibly easy and quick to make. Anybody can do this if they have five minutes. It's perfect as a starter on a warm spring day or can be served to cleanse the palate between courses. Either way, this salad is so simple to put together that I can see it making an appearance during the summer months when we want a quick snack. 

I've never been a massive fan of salads, much to my wife's chagrin. When it's colder out I choose soups to salads every day of the week. But when the thermostat starts to creep up, salads have a fighting chance. The options are endless, as can be seen with this variation, and they're usually refreshing and quick. Two terms of endearment in my kitchen. And, the flavours jump right off the plate.


When you want a change from the typical green lettuce fare at your table, give this one a try. There's a time and place for romaine, rocket and iceberg lettuce, but there's also an opportunity to stretch your concept of a salad and take it to places you didn't know existed. The rewards are immediate and mouth-watering. It explodes with flavour and intensity.


From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!





Orange & Mint Salad

The Goods:
  • 2 oranges
  • 6 dates, pitted and sliced lengthwise
  • small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tbsp. orange juice
  • 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Prep:
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the juice, vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Simmer to reduce, but do not bring to a boil. Add the fresh mint and set aside to cool.
  2. Peel and segment the oranges, cutting off the white pith. Place in a bowl with dates, and some more mint and stir to combine.
  3. Divide between two bowls and drizzle the liquid over top and scatter remaining mint leaves.
  4. Serves 2

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

Now this is what I need when right now to brighten up my day! So beautiful and simple

 
At February 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Brian! It's simple and fresh and flavourful. I appreciate it!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

yummy, is this another dish you are making for me sometime ?

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home