> Verses from my Kitchen: Buttermilk Scones

This Page

has been moved to new address

Buttermilk Scones

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Buttermilk Scones

February 20, 2011

Buttermilk Scones


Sunday morning is one of my favourite times of the week. Everything moves in slow motion and starts to resemble an era I've only read about it books or seen on film. Things were simpler, quieter and less frantic. It's the one day of the week I never want to escape from. I'd rather soak it up and digest it.

Sunday morning, I never want to leave.

After a long start to the weekend hosting family for dinner and drinks, Sunday starts off like most others. I wake up without an alarm, stumble down the stairs and reach for the coffee grinds. As soon as the coffee starts to percolate, I feel a sense of normalcy take hold of me. I'm still half asleep and the lullaby the coffee maker sings puts me in a trance. My mind wanders and I think of something savoury to eat.

I've loved tea for as long as I've been able to recall and nothing is better with a cup of tea than a fresh baked scone. It's comforting and rewarding and reminds of what Sunday is all about. It's a moment to relax and indulge and unwind. I have my places and moments for that. And I have the foods I escape with. 

I prefer sitting on my Bergere chair by the back window with my scone topped with jam and whipped cream. With each bite and glance outside I think about what it would be like to live in an era when slowing down was the only way people knew how to live. They didn't need a day or moment, it was their way of life. It's what I strive for, and instead live in the moments I'm afforded.  Moments like Sunday mornings. The ideal time for Buttermilk Scones, blueberry jam and whipped cream.


From my kitchen to yours, happy Sunday.


Buttermilk Scones

The Goods:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 5 tbsp. salted butter, frozen, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk and extra for brushing
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Prep:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add in the butter and rub with your fingertips until the mixture is flaky and crumbly. Add in the sugar and mix.
  2. Add in the egg and stir and then the buttermilk and stir until you have a firm dough. Do not overwork it, just mix until it's brought together.
  3. Lightly flour a working surface and empty the contents on to it. Pat the dough into a circle about 2cm thick and roll over it once or two with a rolling pin.
  4. Using a round cutter, press out scones by pressing straight downward as quickly as possible. Remove the scone and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat. Brush the tops of the scones with buttermilk and bake for 12-15 minutes and until they have risen and cooked through. Serve with jam and whipped cream or butter. Serves 8-12.













Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At February 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

very nicely put together -- if I had off checked out your blog earlier I would have made them tonight instead of my corn meal muffins... will have to put the scones in my cooking schedule soon

 
At February 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Sippity Sup said...

Blogging is my form of slowing down. It forces me to participate in my food choices! Making me slow down and appreciate life more. GREG

 
At February 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Mardi Michels said...

THANK YOU. For making proper looking scones (and not those nasty triangular imitations you find in places like Starbucks). I love how fluffy these look and how there's a great big dollop of cream teetering precariously on top. These remind me of my Nana and of times when I didn't have anything to do, anywhere to go etc. Oh to be 8 years old again!

 
At February 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Greg, it does the same for me. Blogging and cooking. It's an enjoyable process.

Mardi, I know what you mean. Thank you! And somedays I would do anything to turn back the clock and be a kid again.

 
At February 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am so craving one of those, wow! Those look great!

 
At February 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you Ravie! They turned out well, and I even have one in the oven now.

 
At February 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

That's totally my Sunday morning routine. Can't go without freshly baked scones or popovers. And a pot of coffee, of course.

Great post!

 
At February 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Brian! Popovers sound great too and I've seen the ones you make. Delicious!

 
At February 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mhm, I might just make these on Sunday!

 
At February 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Mateja ^_^ said...

Lovely looking tasty bites! Thank you for sharing :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home