> Verses from my Kitchen: Frozen Banana Bombs

This Page

has been moved to new address

Frozen Banana Bombs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Frozen Banana Bombs

February 9, 2011

Frozen Banana Bombs


I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer outside the city and at my grandparents. Those hot days in July and August were like fresh flowers and freedom. It was an escape from poor air quality and congestion. It was an escape to a simpler way of life.

I would waste spend hours outside by myself throwing the ball against the fence. When you grow up an only child you find ways to keep yourself busy and happy. And when I visited with grandparents, I was just that. I would play in the gigantic backyard trees with roots big enough to dig under the neighbouring property. I would catch butterflies, or at least try. I would do anything to stay in the moment. The days there would turn into nights with a blink of an eye and I couldn't count sheep fast enough so I would awake to another bright day.


One of the routines at their house would be to take a car ride at night. Load the three of us into the old four door sedan and take a trip around town. It didn't matter back then that we travelled slower than snails and kept a lineup of cars trailing behind us. They would honk and smirk at us as they passed. I would always smile back, oblivious to the commotion. We were on our way to the local Diary Queen, and nothing could distract me or change my mood.

We used to make a habit of those trips and I would always order the same item or two. I would look up at the daunting menu and see the same things calling my name and tempting me to pick them. The banana split was the big daddy of menu items. It was the all-American classic and probably the best selling item. Yet I never had a thing for them as a kid. I liked the standard chocolate-dipped cone or DQ sandwich. I loved the chocolate cookies sandwiching ice cream. It was right in my comfort zone.

Years would fly by before I started to appreciate the combination of bananas and ice cream and chocolate sauce. I used to experiment and make mine with crumbled ginger cookies, chocolate sauce, shredded coconut and peanuts. It had a plethora of toppings and they all played nice together.

Now that I'm older, I like to flip recipes around and play with ingredients and flavours and recipes. I thought it was the perfect time to spin an old classic into a new classic. Deconstruct it and twist it. So I came up with this Frozen Banana Bomb. Bananas dipped in melted Nutella, rolled in shredded coconut and crushed peanuts and ginger. Once frozen it took on the taste and characteristics of the banana split. Only it was better.

This is the perfect summer escape and it's simple and quick to make. It starts with slicing a banana in half and dipping it in melted chocolate, done so in a double boiler. I then throw some peanuts and ginger cookies in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin, going back and forth until smooth. I mix those up with shredded coconut and place them on a baking pan lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Dip the banana into the chocolate and roll it into the mixture of your favourite toppings. Cover it with another layer of parchment paper and place in the freezer for an hour.


I'm glad I didn't know about this back when I was a kid because half of the fun to me was those long car rides together. I'd do anything to bring them back and load them in my car and hand them one of these. Take them for a spin around the city I used to visit but now live in. And let the cars line up behind me, just for the memories.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!













Labels: , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At February 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

we just talked about these on Monday night - now I have to give these a whirl - will try this weekend

 
At February 10, 2011 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

YuM! I love blasts from the past!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Krissy said...

OMG looks incredible. My sis and I were just talking about the frozen banana pop we enjoyed in Disney middle of August Animal Kingdom (unbelievable heat...but that frozen pop made it all better). These are definitely an upscale version and the nutella coconut combo sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing.

 
At February 10, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

Oh I loved this post! Thank you for sharing a bit of your childhood with us! And many many thanks for reminding me of this summery treat ... my mom used to make frozen bananas for us when we were little... great memories!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thanks Tiffany! It's like an old school throwdown.

Thank you so much, Krissy! I bet these would be to summer desserts like opening up the fire hydrnt on a scorching hot day. Thanks again!


Thanks Kate! I appreciate it!! Childhood memories are the best. Moms are too!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Yum! I love your plates and cups.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 5:29 AM , Blogger Jill Colonna said...

Too funny your story with the grandparents! Congratulations on these bananas and the title? AWESOME! Another winner.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing! The bananas look stunning!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

The bananas are looking gorgeous. Cant resist to make some and try...

 
At February 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Katie said...

If all bombs looked like this, we'd be living in a much better world. yum!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Ha! Thanks Felice!

Jill, i'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment. Who would have thought but maybe it is all in the name!

Thank you Ravie! For both comments!

Sonia, please let me know if do make them. Always glad to hear how people like them. Thank you !

So true Kat, so true! Thank you kindly.

 
At February 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM , Blogger briarrose said...

What a fun treat. Looks so tasty.

 
At February 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM , Blogger darardh said...

Should of gave these a try when I had the opportunity, I'm kicking myself hard!!!! Mmmmmmmmm.....
Dara

 
At August 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM , Blogger T and Tea Cake said...

I love the combination of nutella and banana. However, all I have ever done with the is to spread the chocolatey goodness on a slice of sunflower seed bread and chunks of banana on top.
This is way more intriguing and clever I have everything but the ginger cookies on hand ( yet some fresh ginger so I might try flavouring the coconut with it) and very tempted to give it a go. :)

Tobias

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home