> Verses from my Kitchen: Chocolate Pear Tartlets | Reason for Thanks

This Page

has been moved to new address

Chocolate Pear Tartlets | Reason for Thanks

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Chocolate Pear Tartlets | Reason for Thanks

October 7, 2011

Chocolate Pear Tartlets | Reason for Thanks


My life tumbled down a hill and crashed into love four years ago. It was on that day that I threw caution to the wind and let my heart go. Free. And it was at that exact moment when I knew that 'I do' was just a matter of time. Matter of when. And ever since that fateful rainy night, I've been thankful. I'm forever thankful.

Thanksgiving weekend is just a few days away. And like four years ago, I celebrate it with the woman that changed my life. Became my life. I've always known that holidays are important, and it's mainly because it brings family together. But this holiday has extra significance to me because it's the anniversary of the day I found my family.



I'm thankful for many things in my life. It starts with that first dance on our first date. The sky was covered in a black canvas as the last of the rain drops skipped down. And with the music playing in her car, we danced. Under the stars and under the veil of romance. She took a chance on me and I took a chance on love.

The list is big and grows every day. It is fueled with moments that define a person, and I'm lucky to be witnessing new definitions all the time. The pain and suffering and circumstance she overcame before I met her. I'm grateful for that. That she persevered and has overcome. It's that fighter inside of her that I'm grateful for every day.

As another thanksgiving inches its way forward, I take stock of my life. And where I came from. Alone and restless to in love and in my rightful place in time. With her. She praises me, supports me, encourages me and she lets me be me. Always. And as each day loses itself into another, I always remember. Never forget.


From then until now. All those sleepless nights that had me wishing. Wanting. Waiting. All those dinner dates at my place with food and wine and long talks. The vacations where our love was cemented and flourished. The engagement parties and celebrations. The tough times and real life twists and turns. Our wedding. Mine. To my beautiful bride.

I'm appreciative that at a later date in time I found my answer. And every single morning when I wake up I need only glance over at her soft eyes closed and locked away and asleep to know that this is where I was suppposed to be along. I no longer have to wonder what if, but instead what is.

This dessert isn't your typical Thanksgiving day dessert. But it's the perfect representation of my love. And appreciation. A rich chocolate ganache that illustrates the sweetness I pursued for years. And finally found in her. The pear is the fruit of my labour of love. And the beautiful tartlet is the one small package that contains all that goodness. The sweet surrender.

To you W, thank you. For your passions. For your love. For always believing. For giving me my hope back. My life tumbled down a hill and crashed into your love four years ago. And ever since that time I've been grateful. Forever grateful. For you.


From my kitchen to yours,

M.




Chocolate Pear Tartlets

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 melted butter
  • 1 large pear, thinly sliced (using a mandoline)
  • 150 grams dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
Prep:
  1. Grease 4 tartlet pans.
  2. Using a large mixing bowl, place graham cracker crumbs, almond meal and baking soda in and stir to combine. Add in melted butter and whisk until well ombined.
  3. Divide dough in four. Press each one into the tartlet pan. Using fingers, press each one evenly along bottom and up the sides. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place tartlets on a baking sheet and bake in centre of oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
  5. While the shells cool, make the ganache. Bring heavy cream to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as it begins to boil remove from heat and add in the chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
  6. With tartlet shells now cool, place a slice or two of pear in the bottom and pour the chocolate ganache over top. Place one pear slice over top and chill.
  7. When ready to serve, finely grate chocolate over top. Serves 4.
















28 Comments:

At October 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM , Anonymous Heidi / foodiecrush said...

Ahhh, that love letter is as sweet as your amazingly gorgeous and original dessert. You have one lucky, lucky wife.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 3:21 AM , Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh I could get used to getting spoiled like this. Chocolate and pears are an awesome combination and add to it a flaky pastry - well you have me hooked!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 3:51 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

This a beautiful post. I hope my boys feel like this about their partners.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing these words of love and peace. I found myself in these lines, I found my love for another person, me being happy and grateful for having met him and having him in my life. We just got engaged over a chocolate cake, and as you say, we knew from the very beginning that this would be our future --being together. We don't know how, where or when, we are young, poor, full of dreams. We just know that it is in our life path. We just know that we found each other and we'll never let each other go.

We celebrated over a chocolate cake, with chocolate ganache, too. Chocolate and love seem to go well together.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

These tarts are gorgeous, my friend... and so is your heart.

Stumbled and pinned!!!! :-)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday was my 9th anniversary with the man who fills my life with more love and joy than I could ever have imagined possible. I can feel your words; I've lived/am living my version of them. Congratulations Mike and many more.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Anonymous pip said...

Beautifully written :) ... and my do those choc pear tartlets look divine!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger chow and chatter said...

congrats love makes the world go round and these are simply stunning

 
At October 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM , Anonymous Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful thing to read on this gloomy grey day. I feel a very similar way towards my own love and I am thankful that I read this Mike. I hope you and yours have a very beautiful and loving weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM , Anonymous Barbara | Creative Culinary said...

I love the look of the pear shape in the tartlets Mike...stunning.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, gorgeous photos, and wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing all of this!!

 
At October 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM , Anonymous merry jennifer said...

So beautiful, Mike - the post and your photographs of the stunning dessert. Congratulations to you both and happy anniversary.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM , Blogger leaf (the indolent cook) said...

The tarts look absolutely beautiful. A fitting picture of your romance.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

What can I say, these tarts are as beautiful as your love for your wife.

 
At October 8, 2011 at 5:45 AM , Anonymous Denise @ TLT - The Little Things said...

These tartlets are truly gorgeous and I love your photogaphic style, what a talent!

 
At October 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

What a beautiful post. I have some pears that need to be used and this pairing with chocolate seems perfect.

 
At October 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Amaizing pics, I will definitely try this recipe Thank for sharing , Ste

 
At October 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Maria said...

These are so beautiful Mike! We don't have Thanksgiving here in Oz, but it's definitely important to every now and then remind oneself for all the things to be thankful for!

 
At October 8, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful just beautiful!

 
At October 9, 2011 at 3:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful words and such good food. I always feel so good reading your posts

 
At October 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Anonymous Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

What a sweet, sweet post. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story - and with chocolate too! :)

 
At October 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

Beautiful post and absolutely lovely photos. This recipe looks incredible.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Deliciously Organic said...

Beautifully written. I bet she'll be reading this post to your grandchildren one day. I love the simplicity of this dessert. Decadent, yet only a few ingredients.

 
At October 11, 2011 at 5:13 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Just lovely!

 
At October 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Anonymous Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

So beautifully written, you can feel the love.

I also feel the love for your chocolate and pear tart. One of my favourite combinations. It looks so decadent and delicious.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Cookin' Canuck said...

What a love letter to your wife! It sounds like kismet that you found each other and it's such a gift to be able to express that gratitude to each other. As for the pear tartlets - gorgeous!

 
At November 2, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous naomi said...

Beautifully written post to and about your wife.

And what a gorgeous dessert and set of photos to follow it.

 
At December 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look lovely! I am going to attempt them today, as it's a rainy day for me as well. Could you tell me- what is the exact measurement for the butter? Want to make sure that nothing goes wrong. Thank you- for your words, most importantly, but also for your love shown through food.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home