> Verses from my Kitchen: Fig & Nectarine Granita and a Love Like This

This Page

has been moved to new address

Fig & Nectarine Granita and a Love Like This

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Fig & Nectarine Granita and a Love Like This

August 28, 2011

Fig & Nectarine Granita and a Love Like This



Sometimes in life a moment strikes that sends ripples through our community and life. And when something hits with the force of a thousand tidal waves, we take stock of our place and the people that impact it. That's what happened recently. And it's happening still today.

When we found out that someone in this food blog community lost their loved one, spouse and best friend, we all banded together to do what we could to help. And then, after the lights were turned off, we took comfort in the love we're blessed to be surrounded by. Our family and spouses. That's what I did. I do.

I didn't need a reminder to appreciate my wife or tell her I love her, but it doesn't hurt. She's my sounding board and is always willing to listen. She'll let me talk about these past few weeks and comforts me and loves me. Unconditionally. I never had a love like this.


One of the best things that's happened  to us lately is working as a team shooting and documenting someone's wedding day. The day itself is beautiful, from the vows and exchange of rings to the blessing of an entire room filled with loved ones. Yet, there's something deeper at play. Maybe even more meaningful. To me, it is.

As I look across the church from my spot snapping away, I'll catch my wife in action. She may pause or look back but, no matter what, when the words of the minister carry across the room I beging remembering my own words from not that long ago. It impacts me. As it does them.


At some point during the reception, without fail, maybe during speeches or toasts, I'll remember a moment from my own wedding and that incredibly special day and I fall back in love with my wife all over again. Over and over. I see something in her eyes and it reminds me of something I saw when we shared that incredible moment together.

This past weekend day was amazing. We'd be planning for the shoot since we met the bride and groom a few weeks ago to go over last minute details and site locations for shoots between the church and reception. Everything these last few weeks has been leading towards the big day. For everyone.


We started the day taking different paths knowing we'd meet back up together, like we always do. She went to the bride's house and I hit up the groom's. We captured memories and life's treasures by the minute and left the houses to head to the church. I met up with my wife and we travelled there together to greet them. Meet them.

We spent the next hour working the aisles of the church watching someone's greatest day unfold in front of our eyes. And in front of their own. And then, right after they were officially married, we took some precious shots with their grandmother's. And everyone important to them.

The long day was only going to get longer. We rushed off to the reception hall to prep for yet a different lighting scenario and spent the next five hours documenting some of the best moments from a wedding I've ever seen. There were tears, laughter and memories to carry them through the rest of their lives. And some pictures, just in case they forget.


I loved every minute of this wedding, of photographing it. And, while the ceremony and reception spoke volumes about the love they had for each other, it also reminded me just how much I love my one and only. A love like this.

So when we finally woke up the next day, after a sleep that never seemed to end, I did so knowing I had a beautiful summer day still in my grasp. It may be leaving but it isn't gone yet. And that's how I planned on attacking it.


I hit up the market and grabbed some fresh Ontario nectarines and figs. Gorgeous leathery soft-skinned figs. I came home and immediately thought about making a granita to cool us down from the last of the hot summer heat. After a few hours of waiting, it was ready.

I grabbed a couple of tall glasses and filled them with the soft icy chards of granita and a couple of spoons. We sat outside and let the warm sun shine on our face and reflected on the last couple of weeks. And the lovely weekend and wedding that was. And I started thinking about the beautiful woman I turn to and share it all with. My wife. Always my wife.


From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!


** Now before you head to the recipe, it's time to announce the winner of last week's Calphaon giveaway!! I entered the comment numbers into a random generator and...

The Winner is... Paula @bell'alimento. Congratulations!!




Fig & Nectarine Granita

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 nectarines, stone removed and roughly chopped
  • 5 figs, chopped
Prep:
  1. Add sugar and water to a medium saucepan over low heat and whisk until dissolved.
  2. Place chopped nectarines and figs in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add it into the sugar/water mixture and stir.
  3. Pour the contents into a metal tin [loaf pan will suffice] and place in the freezer. After one hour, remove and use a fork to rake across the top and return to the freezer. Repeat each hour for 3 more hours.
  4. Serves 6.


18 Comments:

At August 29, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

A beautiful post, Mike. You no doubt have a lot of love to give and your wife is very lucky to have you.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous SMITH BITES said...

ahhhh . . . the memories of my own wedding come bubbling up when i read this Mike . . . a day i'll never forget because i didn't believe it could/would ever happen . . . i do believe you love your wife as much as i love my professor; and working together as a team is something most couples can't do but like you and your wife, it's one of my and the professor's greatest joys!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Jimena said...

beautiful post...
Love Granita. I´m going to try this recipe
Thanks

 
At August 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Xiaolu said...

Beautiful and delicious -- the first I've seen flavored with nectarines.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Bev Weidner said...

Stunning post! Words and photos - all gorgeous.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Jen said...

beautiful post!! and beautiful recipe!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! I just love your words. I completely agree. A love like that is rare and very, very special! Hold onto it with both hands!!

ps. The granita looks amazing as well!! : ) Thanks for sharing.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM , Anonymous Paula - bell'alimento said...

Such a beautiful post as always Mike. Thank you so much for the giveaway! I'm so grateful to have won!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Sunny said...

Wish we had fresh figs here. My grandmother did right outside of her back door in Texas. I love them but they don't grow very well this far North.

Thanks for a beautiful post.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Claire said...

Beautiful! I love how you used figs and nectarines, perfect for the summer

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM , Blogger Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

A very touching post Mike! Love the granita too...

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM , Anonymous Nancy G. said...

Lovely. I feel the same way about my husband and we have only been married 26 years.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Congrats to Paula on the win and I am in love with this light, colorful and summery granita. You and your wife much make quite the photography team. Beautiful story & recipe :)

 
At August 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM , Anonymous Winnie said...

Your posts are so special Mike. Love reading each and every one :)

 
At August 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM , Anonymous Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

It's been amazing to see how the food blog community has come together to support Jen and you've done a fantastic job Mike! This granita looks gorgeous, I will save this recipe for the warm months here in Sydney :-) xx

 
At August 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

I am a SUCKER for a good granita ... and this is a GOOD looking granita!

 
At August 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Lovely granita! And lovely to read how well you and your wife work together.

 
At September 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM , Blogger La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Beautiful shots! Never had granita before.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home