> Verses from my Kitchen: Happy Birthday Baby and Baked Peaches with Thyme, Yogurt & Honey

This Page

has been moved to new address

Happy Birthday Baby and Baked Peaches with Thyme, Yogurt & Honey

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Happy Birthday Baby and Baked Peaches with Thyme, Yogurt & Honey

August 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Baby and Baked Peaches with Thyme, Yogurt & Honey


It could have all been so different. All of it. One day turned into a year which turned into a decade and before I knew it a lifetime of possibility was slipping through my fingers. I used to lie awake at night with my eyes softly closed while dreaming of a dream that played on repeat in my mind. Would it. Could it. Every day, the same ending. I was alone.

I met W nearly four years ago. On a whim. Chance. The romantic in me likes to believe it was destiny. Yet destiny wasn't kind up until that point so I try not to pin a word on it. After talking for days we set up a time. And just as it was about to appear, the winds of destiny blew it out of my grasp. Here we go again.

Everyone before her had ended in just me. After that first cancelled date I figured it wasn't going to be. But then the first date appeared. And she appeared. We spent the entire night sharing stories and food and wine and it felt like this was it. It was different. Felt different. Was different.


One date turned two. Two turned four. It was a couple months in when I met them. Her parents. Things were going well. I was already beginning to think about those lost lonely nights dreaming of a dream. I didn't want that back. After I met her parents everything felt right. She was right, for me.

W and I moved in together before a year was up. It was the easiest difficult decision I've ever made. I let my heart steer me, and it usually took me where I needed to be. We packed up her belongings and took the highway an hour west to a new place. New beginning. New level.

Even though we were inseparable after that first meeting, more my doing than hers I like to believe, it felt more real those first few nights in our place together. I softly closed my eyes each night, only this time I didn't dream. That had already been fulfilled. I waited until she slept and turned on my side and smiled. And I woke up doing the same thing. Every single day and night.

We started this little ritual shortly thereafter. It was time for a birthday or holiday and we talked about gifts. It's funny but for the first time in my life I didn't want them anymore. Not from her, or her from me. We didn't need a gift on an occasion to signal it's significance. Besides, my gift was her. Still is. 

We decided not to buy each other gifts for our birthday anymore because we do things for each other all the time. Besides, we don't often remember the gifts our loved ones get us the very next year. Or year after that. So we made this pact. Instead I'll make her a special meal or she'll do something special for me. It's different. It's us.

Things were fantastic. Always. I had long since fallen for W and we knew we were on our way together. I knew it. That's when I planned to propose. I had planned it that first night we met. Really. I was left breathless that night and nearly every one since. The proposal would be my way to prove it to her.



I made the drive to her parents house to ask for her mom's permission. She said yes and we both cried. And then I planned out the day. The moment. My future. I carefully constructed a day that she'd never forget. And I did. One beautiful surprise after another. She didn't see it coming.

I met up with her after a day full of those surprises unfolded and got on my knee. I told her how lucky I am. I told her I wouldn't want to be doing this with anybody else. And I asked her to marry me. It was the first of many greatest days ever. Her smile lit up the sky. Her eyes shone like a thousand sunrises. It was better than I had hoped. All because she said yes.

W planned and executed nearly every detail leading up to our wedding. I had my small list of duties while she tackled the mountain. Each day leading up to the wedding filled my heart with happiness. At one moment I thought it would explode with joy. It consumed me.


My wedding day was blissful. All because of her. Standing on the beach with the ocean as my backdrop, I watched her mother walk her down the hill and towards me leaving me breathless again. Tears filled my eyes and ran down my face like an avalanche. I was the luckiest man in the world. Still am. We spent the day with a small number of family and friends, the most important people on the most important day. And I spent it with my best friend and wife.

Our wedding day
After we were married we bought our first house. A beautiful place that backs on to green space. Protected space with trails running throughout, weaving like a map with unknown destinations just a path away. We moved in and on with the next chapter in our lives. And shortly after that W turned to photography. First as a hobby, now as a career.

So much was happening in such a short time. But I wouldn't change a thing. It was a whirlwind of love and activity. It was everything I wanted but thought I would miss out on. Thankfully for W, I get to experience it every day, for my whole life. All of it, every single day. People say they wouldn't change a thing. I'm living it.

Wendy started her photography career recently. And with each passing moment it grows stronger. Like she does. In front of my eyes I see her changing and growing. She changed my life four years ago so it's only fitting that she changes hers alone the way. One booked shoot after another. One inspirational moment trickles past another.

So much previously untapped passion that was waiting to be unleashed. She lives and breathes in the moments. Every day is spent cultivating a future, while documenting everybody else's. As you'll see at the end of this post with some of her pictures, those documented images are real and beautiful and her. Always her.
I like to think I feed her passion. Literally and figuratively. I make nearly every meal and she's always happy to test my newest recipes. We enjoy food, especially on weekends when we're not rushed. We can sit back and enjoy a simple summer dessert of roasted peaches with honeyed yogurt and thyme. Perfect enough for a hot day out with my wife, a day before her birthday.

As another day approaches and her birthday with it, I remember. I remember what it was like when August 9 didn't have any significance to me. I remember not  being this happy in my life. Ever. I remember and I register. Every last piece of the history we make. I remember how lucky I am. All because of her. I do it all for her.

Looking back, it could have all been so different. All of it. I lie awake most nights with my eyes softly closed while dreaming of a dream that plays on repeat in my mind. It would. It could. It did. And every day, it's the same beautiful ending. You'll never be alone again.


Happy Birthday Baby! You are incredible. Gifted. Generous. Supportive. Everything I've ever wanted in a wife. A person. You deserve everything you get and everything that's coming your way. I'm just glad that I'm along for the ride. And what a wonderful ride it's been.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!




Roasted Peaches with Thyme and Honeyed Yogurt

Ingredients:
  • 2 large ripe peaches, halved and stones removed
  • 2 tbsp. honey plus more for serving
  • 2 cups greek yogurt
  • 4 sprigs of thyme plus 2 tsp. chopped thyme leaves
  • 1 tsp. rosewater
Prep:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.
  2. Halve two peaches and remove the pit. Place cut side up on a parchment covered baking tray. Drizzle one tablespoon of honey over two peach halves and place a sprig of thyme on each.
  3. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until soft.
  4. Combine two cups of yogurt with rosewater.
  5. Remove peaches from the oven and cut into wedges. Divide peach halves between two bowls. Top with yogurt and chopped thyme leaves and drizzle with additional honey. Serves 2.  

















22 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM , Anonymous Jessica said...

Amazing and beautiful post! Great photos and the recipe sounds so delicious. I love the combination, especially with thyme!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 6:59 AM , Blogger gfs said...

oh wow, what a gorgeous post. So much love.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What an incredible journey you are both on. Wendy is very talented, and you have each other.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for telling me you dont want or need any more gifts for your birthdays lol........ great post today michael my SIL and thank you for feeding my girl so many delectable meals.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Claire said...

very sweet words! beautiful pictures and the recipe sounds delicious :)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous Isabelle @ Crumb said...

Mike, your love for your wife always shines through in your posts, but this one made me smile more than any other (and maybe get a little teary-eyed too). It's so beautiful, mostly because it comes from such an earnest, honest place.
Wishing the two of you many, many, many happy birthdays together.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM , Anonymous Lana said...

And I thought only my husband can put so much beautiful poetry into writing:)
Your post brought happy tears to my face. Yes, I am the incorrigible romantic and proud of it!
Your wife is beautiful and very talented, and your love story is inspiring.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Kimmy Bingham said...

You simply make me tear up every time you talk about your wife. Such a beautiful tribute to her on her birthday! You know what's funny... Dave and I don't give gifts either, we do what you do, something little and special for one another. I think that's the perfect gift, frankly. :-)

 
At August 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM , Anonymous SMITH BITES said...

a beautifully written and honest post Mike - many, many more days of happiness and joy to you and Wendy - you both are quite lucky to have one another!! (((hugs)))

 
At August 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM , Anonymous Barbara | Creative Culinary said...

It's almost too much and yet probably because I ended up with a man who could not and would not share emotions...well, beyond his needs. So we ended without those moments the two of you share, yet I wish you a lifetime of them.

Especially now; when reminded of how very precious life is, I'm glad to hear that you and Wendy let each other know, every single day, how much you love each other.

Wendy...your photos are nothing less than magnificent. Happy Birthday!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

I think Wendy must know that she has a very caring man. Your love for one another... especially what you express for her... is magnificent. Wishing Wendy a very happy birthday.

 
At August 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Leanna @ Raptortoe said...

Beautiful recipe and photos!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM , Anonymous A Kitchen Muse said...

Beautiful story of your romance. Exquisite photos. Wishing you the best!

 
At August 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Great photos! And crazy... I just grilled peaches with basil and roasted nectarines with balsamic! Great minds think alike no? :D

 
At August 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

This post is just too sweet. Painfully sweet. And your wife is very talented indeed.

 
At August 10, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger myFudo said...

Lovely post. Love the pictures. The photos of the peaches are so appealing, Craving for them.

 
At August 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Alan Cooke said...

Great post! Happy birthday to Wendy! Sounds like this should be ya'lls song http://youtu.be/MYycDyAxgb0 :-)

 
At August 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Maria said...

Lovely post! thanks for sharing! And happy birthday to your beautiful wife!

 
At August 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Wendy Lewicki said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and support for my husband.

 
At August 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM , Anonymous Viviane Bauquet Farre said...

Your collection of photography is beautiful. Sweet, like the wondrous things that happen when you roast peaches! I really enjoyed reading this post.

 
At August 10, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Sneh | Cook Republic said...

Beautiful! Love your story and how you feel about your one and only! Happy Birthday to her and to you both, many lifetimes of love and happiness! :-)

 
At August 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM , Anonymous Bernadette Simone said...

Wow!..you've left me in tears...but happy ones...this post was absolutely beautiful....I'm so inspired....Thank you...you are both lovely....Hope to see you again.
Love Bernadette
xo

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home