> Verses from my Kitchen: {Cocktail} The Shucks Deluxe

This Page

has been moved to new address

{Cocktail} The Shucks Deluxe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: {Cocktail} The Shucks Deluxe

September 14, 2011

{Cocktail} The Shucks Deluxe


It almost slipped through my fingers. Gone. The last week or so has been met with a chorus for change. Out with summer, in with autumn. After a summer filled with glorious weather and bright streaming sunshine, the first crack of fall sent a cool breeze and soft morning light into our lives. And then it came again. And again.

Fall was at our doorstep, and it was pushing summer into the rear view mirror. Like many people, I was waiting with open arms. Anticipating the new colours, cooler temperatures and an evening by the fireplace. Not so fast. Not yet. Temperatures that mimic mid-July have crept right back in and have caused the love affair for fall to be put on hiatus. For a short while.

The mornings have been starting off like most mid-September mornings do. Soft and cool light dancing its way through our bedroom window and across the sheets that drape over us. The trees out back are covered with a light shade that disappears as morning rolls on. And I lay in bed a bit longer than usual, or just until that light starts to make its way up onto my wife's delicate skin.



After I pry myself from the comfort of warm sheets and a soft landing, I tip toe into the bathroom and slide open the window. It's there that I feel the first breeze of the day and lay witness to the subtle changes in the leaves out back. It's also where I spy on my wife still asleep. A beautiful calm sleep.

The last few days the temperatures have quickly risen as soon as I stepped clear of the house. And, by midday, the sun's rays are hotter than they have been in weeks. That's perfectly fine by me because it gives me a bit more time to establish long lasting summer memories. And recipes. Like this.

We were hanging around the house the other day and enjoying the unexpected heat. Although summer hasn't officially ended, I had all but given up hope that we would see her shine bright again. Thankfully I was wrong. It was hot and bright and perfect.


So we sat outside with the heat splashing against our faces and I figured it would be the perfect time to make a last ditch summer cocktail to cool us down. It was only fitting. I disappeared inside for a bit and came out with this beautiful splash of life.

Recently I've started seeing the fruit stands spraying up alongside the rural roads that litter the outside areas of the city. On the shelves are freshly picked Ontario peaches and fresh herbs from the gardens out back. There's an envelope out front and pricing attached. So I grabbed some fresh rosemary and a bucket of peaches and dropped my money in the empty envelope. Right away I had this drink in my mind.

We spent the last of the daylight hours enjoying a drink and reminiscing about the beautiful summer that was. That is. It had almost slipped through my fingers. Gone. But for a brief moment, it came back again. And again.


From my kitchen to yours, happy drinking!



THE SHUCKS DELUXE

Ingredients:
  • 4 large peaches, pits removed and cut in half
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice
  • 3 ounces vodka
  • 1 tbsp. lime juice
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 cup sprite
  • 4 slices of peaches, garnish
  • 2 rosemary sprigs, garnish
Prep:
  1. Using a food processor, add in the 4 peaches (pits removed), sugar and lime juice. Pulse until pureed. Pour the contents into a fine sieve over a bowl to catch the nectar. Using the back of a spoon, push through all the nectar you can and toss the bits that don't make it through.
  2. [To make Rosemary Simple Syrup] Combine 2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar, 3 tbsp. corn syrup and 1/4 cup rosemary leaves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and rest for 20 minutes. Strain into a glass and refrigerate until chilled.
  3. Using a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add in vodka, lime juice, honey, 2 tbsp. rosemary simple syrup, 4 tbsp. peach nectar and shake. Pour into two cocktail glasses filled with ice and top with Sprite and a splash of water. Garnish with two peach slices per drink and a rosemary sprig.
  4. Serves 2.










17 Comments:

At September 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Bev Weidner said...

My eyes can't even wrap around how beautiful that drink is.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Isabelle @ Crumb said...

Well, shucks... I just went to the farmers' market on my lunch break, and forgot to buy some peaches to make this drink. Guess it really does live up to its name! :)
I'll just have to snag some from the supermarket on the way home, I suppose. Our cold, brisk morning warmed up to a lovely sunny warm afternoon, and I'm in the mood to celebrate.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous SMITH BITES said...

uhm . . . i happen to have a bag of peaches sitting on my counter at this very moment . . . and rosemary growing in my garden . . . and vodka in my bar cabinet . . . and i've been fighting w/my computer all day . . . sooooooooo

 
At September 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Anonymous Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Stunning images, the light is soft and enveloping just like the morning light you described so beautifully.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I've never heard of this cocktail, but with peaches and rosemary, how can you go wrong? I am surprised the peaches are still around right now, but yay!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Claire said...

Once again, I am in awe of your pictures. They are so beautiful. This cocktail looks delicious, very interesting combo of peaches and rosemary

 
At September 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

Is that rosemary I see! I love rosemary in drinks!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM , Anonymous Sneh | Cook Republic said...

Very nice! Its going to be peach season in Australia soon as the weather warms up! yayyyy :)

 
At September 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning... Can't wait to make this for my grilled pizza party on Sunday... Thanks!!!

 
At September 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger dinnerordessert said...

This drink sounds so refreshing and a great way to use up the last of my peaches!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 2:47 AM , Anonymous Sarah B. / Lemon Fire Brigade said...

LOVE this post, and your blog. Thanks!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

Oh yes... enjoy it while it lasts, my friend! Beautiful cocktail... one that I hope to enjoy with you one of these days!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous dominik mj said...

This looks very nice - though there are two small things, which might be an "area of improvement". Fresh peaches are great, so is fresh rosemary, honey etc. - but why using processed, industrial lemon-lime soda? It is just a pity and pulls down the quality of the drink. Use a bit more sugar and lime and use club soda...

And: why using vodka? Some gins would be great [e.g. the new Nolet Silver Dry Gin] - or you can use a nice rum - either way something golden like Mount Gay Eclipse or a nice semi aged Brugal or a white variety like Flor de Caña 4 years old white...

Even a nice bourbon would be great [though boozier...]!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM , Anonymous Barbara | Creative Culinary said...

Great minds and all Mike...I just did a drink (cocktail might be a bit too sophisticated for a drink with root beer, vodka and whipping cream!) that I've enjoyed twice now with a warm day but whole life span is waning a bit now with the advent of fall.

This looks spectacular...and poo to dominik...I'm with vodka all the way!

I've started a new section on my blog called Happy Hour Friday...please come add your drink and any Friday if you have a drink or appetizer to share, I hope to create the same opportunity.

http://www.creative-culinary.com/boulder-distillery-happy-hour-friday

 
At September 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

How refreshing Mike! Need to make this when I can get some peaches...love your writing regarding the transition from summer to autumn.

 
At September 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

excellent receipe for a drink that I can enjoy -- and the pictures are so inviting I want to make the drink now

 
At October 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM , Blogger MILA said...

wow, this cocktail is so refreshing and beautiful. makes me happy :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home