> Verses from my Kitchen: Sunday Brunch: Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Asparagus Tartar

This Page

has been moved to new address

Sunday Brunch: Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Asparagus Tartar

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Sunday Brunch: Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Asparagus Tartar

April 11, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Asparagus Tartar

    
Sunday. Thank goodness for days like this. The alarm clock stashed away for another day, the coffee set to start later than usual and the calendar is empty. Blank. I usually put an X across these days because they're meant for slowing down and catching up. I take a zen-like approach to the day and do things when I feel like doing them. Simple Sundays.

We have our routines on weekends. Simple routines. They stay constant by changing. Coffee and pastry made the day before and talks about life and dreams. Both kinds. And when the morning light opens up for the day, I head to the market and shop. Groceries, fresh herbs and produce. Sunday love.

If I get back early enough we throw down a late breakfast and a fresh batch of coffee. If the clock ticks into late morning than it quickly becomes brunch or lunch sandwiches. Like today. I was back home by 10:30am, but after cleaning out the fridge and re-stocking it it was past eleven. It danced on the line between breakfast and lunch.


I love breakfast, but sometimes a great sandwich trumps it. We've been enjoying pancakes and eggs for a few weekends in a row now so I suggested making a sandwich for an early lunch. Luckily my wife usually agrees with whatever I want to make. So I decided to use some of the fresh goods from the market and make a Smoked Salmon on Rye with Asparagus Tartar.

I had some smoked salmon at home and love making sandwiches with it. This time I figured the combination of salty bacon and lemony asparagus tartar sauce worked well with smoked salmon and rye. It was fresh and packed with flavour. Fresh herbs and peppery arugula round it out nicely.

We sat down around just before noon and ate these sandwiches, slowly and deliberately. The sauce plays well with the rest of the ingredients but the combination makes one beautiful harmony. It was a great change of pace from the breakfasts we have been having over the past few weeks. The one constant. Change.


We finished lunch and knew we had the day to ourselves. A blank slate. Sunday. Thank goodness for days like this.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!

Smoked Salmon with Asparagus Tartar

The Goods:

Sandwich:
  • 4 slices smoked salmon
  • 4 slices bacon, crisp
  • 1 heirloom tomato
  • 1é2 cup arugula
Tartar Sauce:
  • 1é4 cup chopped asparagus, blanched
  • 1 tbsp. capers, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. sweet pickles, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. dill, chopped
  • 1é4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • sea salt and pepper
Prep:
  1. To make the tartar sauce, blanch the asparagus and combine them with the capers, sweet pickles, parsley and dill. Add in the mayonnaise, lemon juice and season to taste.
  2. Toast the rye and spread a layer of the tartar on the bottom slice. Add on the slices of smoked salmon followed by the tomatoes, bacon and arugula. Top with remaining slice of bread and serve.
  3. Serves 2.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At April 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM , Blogger The Souper said...

Michael, I am enjoying your blog. Mouthwatering photos and recipes :)

The Souper

 
At April 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

I can't think of a better way to start the morning than with a big smoked salmon sandwich. Growing up in a Jewish household, we always had bagels and lox on Sundays... no bacon, of course... though I can only imagine how incredible that is.

 
At April 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Sippity Sup said...

I say Thank Goodness for "posts" like this! GREG

 
At April 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

I learn so much from your blog and I am your mother lol

 
At April 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM , Anonymous Kate@Diethood said...

I love this post - it relaxed me, believe it or not... where can I buy your book?! :)

Beautiful food and the photos are stunning!

 
At April 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a gorgeous and delectable sandwich!!! Fabulous photos~

 
At April 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Anonymous Carolyn Jung said...

This is one luscious looking sammy -- perfect for morning, noon or night. ;)

 
At April 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Anonymous Liren said...

You had me at smoked salmon. I grew up in NY on bagels and lox - this is the perfect Sunday brunch!

 
At April 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM , Anonymous Kimby said...

I headed over to your blog after I saw your sandwich featured on TK. So many creative ideas and beautiful photography and writing! (Love your logo, too!) It's a pleasure to "meet you."

 
At April 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

The Souper, thank you! And thanks for dropping back again.

Brian, bacon on anything is good. But there are other options as well. Thanks my friend!

Thanks Greg. Thank goodness for comments like this.

Thank you Kate! No book in the works yet, but thank you!!

Thanks Lizzy for coming back again and again!!

Carolyn, thanks for stopping and leaving a comment.

Liren, I'm the same way. Smoked salmon anything on the weekend!

Thanks for coming over Kimby! Glad you liked it! And thanks for the comments!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home