> Verses from my Kitchen: Australian Anzac Cookies

This Page

has been moved to new address

Australian Anzac Cookies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Australian Anzac Cookies

March 17, 2011

Australian Anzac Cookies


There is something unique and rewarding about making food for people you care about. I love sneaking away and escaping to the kitchen to work on recipes to share with family and friends. When I'm jotting down notes or chopping food I can almost see the second hand on the clock slow down and freeze in mid-motion. Time stands still whenever I'm alone with my thoughts and the food I'm working with.

Last night was a normal night in my household. We were finishing up dinner and my wife reminded me that her mom and aunt were coming for a visit today around lunch. My wife has many talents but cooking isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, she can cook but she doesn't enjoy it. That's my role. Since I'm away during the day I asked her what she wanted for lunch and decided on a few simple recipes.


I woke up early this morning and started making a batch of soup. It's warmer today so this is one of my last opportunities for a while to make something hot and comforting. While the soup was simmering away I made a small batch of aioli, which my wife dips anything into and she'll find a way to use that this afternoon. And, as much for me as it is for them, I made these cookies.

Anzac biscuits were originally made to send to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps serving in Gallipoli, the first major military fought by these countries during the first world war. I'm not Australian but I know about these biscuits because I have a few cookbooks by Bill Granger. Bill makes fabulous, fresh and simple recipes and I've been making these cookies for as long as I can remember.



They are chewy and slightly crispy, really flavourful and actually pretty healthy. Like most cookies, these ones are great with a cup of milk or cup of tea. And I've been known to get lost in a good book and half a dozen of these tasty treats.

From my kitchen to yours, happy eating!




Anzac Biscuits(Adapted from Bill Granger)

The Goods:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 tbsp. golden syrup
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tbsp. boiling water
Prep:
  1. Preheat the oven to 320 degrees. Using a large mixing bowl, add in the flour, coconut, sugar and oats. Mix well.
  2. Melt butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  3. Place baking soda in a small bowl and add in hot water. Mix well and add to saucepan and stir. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  4. Roll a tablespoon of the cookie mixture into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet. Leave room to spread. Flatten each ball gently with a fork.
  5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. The middle should still be soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cook before transferring to a wire.

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At March 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Feast on the Cheap said...

I'd never heard of these before, they look wonderful. You have a lovely blog

 
At March 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Mardi Michels said...

THey look really good- just like I love them (chewy!) but please - call a biscuit a biscuit ;-)

 
At March 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Brian Samuels Photography said...

Just adoring these cookies... in particular the texture the coconut brings to it. I have no doubt that I'd enjoy them.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having said...

I love baking for others. I feel like the food tastes better when its made for people I love.
These cookies sound wonderful!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Diethood.com said...

I love these biscuits... I first had them when I was in Aussie land few years back...they are fantastic! Great job, Mike.. they look wonderful!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Thank you. I hadn't heard of them either until I bought a Bill Granger book a few years back. And I'm glad you liked it!

Mardi, I tend to waver. Biscuit, cookie, biscuit. Ok, ok. I know. And thanks!

Thanks Brian. Like most cookies I made more than I can eat. If only you lived closer!

Thanks Lynn! I know the feeling. It's really unique and nothing gives the same response.

Luck you Kate! I haven't been there, no matter how much I want to. Thanks!

 
At March 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM , Blogger All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Anzac Biscuits are one of my favorites, and I love Bill's books too.

 
At March 19, 2011 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Three-Cookies said...

ANZAC's are one of my favourite biscuits, and a very forgiving biscuit. It turns out slightly different every time I make it but its always delicious!

 
At March 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Mickle in NZ said...

You haven't mentioned the fun when you add the baking soda solution to the other liquids - it all bubbles up! Michelle - a proud Kiwi ANZAC biscuit maker and eater, down-under here in Wellington, New Zealand

 
At March 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous Food Frenzy said...

Wonderful looking cookies/biscuits. Looking forward to giving this a try.

We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite food posts on Food Frenzy.
Please check out our community at http://blogstew.net/foodfrenzy

 
At March 19, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Sonia said...

Wonderful cookies, looking so gud and crunchy. Congrats for top 9 !

 
At March 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Sippity Sup said...

I have never had these cookies, but coconut assured me that could be addictive. GREG

 
At March 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM , Anonymous April said...

those look delicious...

just a quick question though.. what's the exact amount of butter needed? does 1 stick = 1 cup?

 
At August 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to try these! I stumbled upon your recipe from a Google search for 'Australian cookies." So glad I did!

 
At December 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just made these, and delicious!! Definitely going on the list of favourite cookies. Perfect with a glass of milk! Thanks so much for this recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home