Thai Mango Salad with Grilled Shrimp
I feel it when I first wake up. I don't need to hear the local weatherman announce it on the radio, and there's no need for the meteorologist on the television to throw magnetic images of the sun up on the weather board. It's immediately obvious when I leave my bedroom and feel the power of her rays rush through the window and press up against my skin. My eyes squint to foil her advances.
I step into the kitchen and watch the early morning haze jump off the ground outside. It`s going to be hot. No wait, it already is. Welcome to spring, disguised as summer. It's the new seasonal norm. And this is only the beginning.
The air conditioner in our house fools me into believing that it's cooler outside than it actually is. It lends me a false sense of security and sets me up for failure. I walk out through the front door to face the world dressed in pants and a long-sleeved shirt, and I immediately roll up my sleeves before the light cotton fabric sticks to me like glue. It's early June and I'm ready for the hottest summer in a hundred years.
- 12 large tiger prawns
- 4 rosemary sprigs for skewers
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 lime, zested
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli,deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 large cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- small handful of fresh cilantro
- pinch of sea salt
- Remove three-quarters of the rosemary leaves and slide 3 shrimp on each sprig.
- Add the next 9 ingredients to a bowl and mix. Reserve half for the dressing and use the rest for the shrimp on the bbq. Grill the shrimp over medium high heat for 3 minutes per side, or until browned with grill marks. Brush the sauce over top of each side.
- Take the slices of mango and pour over the reserved liquid. Add in the cucumber, orange pepper, shallots, green chilli and a handful of chopped cilantro, mix and season.
- Plate the mango salad and add in the grilled shrimp over top.
- Serves 2.