> Verses from my Kitchen: Lime Vinaigrette on Baby Arugula, Apple and Prosciutto Salad

This Page

has been moved to new address

Lime Vinaigrette on Baby Arugula, Apple and Prosciutto Salad

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: Lime Vinaigrette on Baby Arugula, Apple and Prosciutto Salad

October 28, 2010

Lime Vinaigrette on Baby Arugula, Apple and Prosciutto Salad

My wife loves salad. She loves the taste combinations and the fresh, cool greens with a sweet and savoury dressing. Quite often she'll pass on something more substantial for a salad stacked with fresh seasonal flavours and topped with shaved Parmigiana Reggiano. And she'll definitely suggest salad whenever we're hosting a dinner party. I'm sure you get the point.

Over the years I've made countless variations on the standard "American" salad. I've also attempted new recipes and flavour pairings. It doesn't always work but when it does, it's like hitting gold. I've made the following, plus more: Red Leaf with Tarragon Vinaigrette, Heirloom Tomato, Classic Caeser, Avocado and Mango with Shrimp, Summer Citrus Chickpea, Frisee with Pears, Goat Cheese and Pecans, Shaved Carrot and Raisin.

I love making salads and building flavour from the bottom-up and, particularly, grabbing my whisk and making the dressing. My wife craves homemade dressing, and, at home, food is about simple and fresh. Luckily, I had just the right thing up my sleeve. My take on the stantard pork and apple pairing.  A Sweet Lime Vinaigrette on Baby Arugula, Apple and Prosciutto Salad.

This salad is quick and easy and balanced. It incorporates the sweetness in the dressing, the salty texture of prosciutto, the crisp acidic and sharp flavour of the Granny Smith apple and the spicy, peppery tones of the arugula. This salad is harmony in a bowl.






Apple and Prosciutto Salad:


Yields: 4

The Goods:
4 Prosciutto slices, rolled and sliced into ribbons
2 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced and cut into sticks
Arugula
1 lime, juice only
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup Extra-Virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. honey
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

The Prep:
1. Combine mustard and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil as you whisk to create an emulsion. Stir in honey and and season with salt and pepper. Give it another good whisk to mix all the ingredients.
2. Wash the Arugula leaves. Place a handful in each bowl and top with prosciutto and apple sticks. Pour in a light coating of the dressing. Fold to combine.





Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM , Blogger Wendy Lewicki said...

I love you so much. And your yummy food!!

 
At November 8, 2010 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Laura said...

This looks so good ... I don't know what proscuitto is or how you roll and ribbon it haha, but I must try this!

 
At November 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

Laura, prosciutto is a dry-cured ham. I just roll the slice into a long thin rope and slice across to form ribbons. I find it adds a better bite than just breaking off small pieces.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home