> Verses from my Kitchen: The Best Thing I ever Ate: Between Bread

This Page

has been moved to new address

The Best Thing I ever Ate: Between Bread

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Verses from my Kitchen: The Best Thing I ever Ate: Between Bread

October 7, 2010

The Best Thing I ever Ate: Between Bread

There's a great Food Network show that's featured on Food Network Canada and revolves around the best chefs and biggest food stars and what they eat in their free time. It's a guide around the country and the best meals and eats and treats. The stories are told by people who obsess about food and always remember the great meals they've experienced. Each episode changes but the point remains the same.

 One week focuses on "Grilled" or "Sauced" or "Sweet Tooth." The show is highly addictive, just like the foods that are discovered and featured. The one episode I'm expanding on was "Between Bread" and focuses on more than your average sandwiches, like cheese steaks or polish boy sandwich or pastrami sandwich and the list keeps going. 9 chefs, 9 different responses. Each one has a different experience and different reason for choosing what they did and where they first noshed on the food.

The best thing I ever ate that was between bread is a Veal Parm Panino I had for the first time three years ago. I still remember the first time I tried it, as if it happened last week. A former co-worker told me about this hidden gem in Kitchener and this sandwich in particular. He took me there for lunch one day when we stopped for a break. It came out wrapped up and looked big. I was so anxious to see what it looked like and, more importantly, what it tasted like. It`s easy to remember moments in life when people build something up so much that you`re left disappointed when you might not have been so otherwise. Not this time.

The Italian bun was warm and soft and the sauce was dripping down the sandwich. The cheese was oozing out and the sandwich filling was bursting open. The anticipation was too much and I took my first bite. I will always remember that moment in time. It was everything I expected and so so much more. A lightly breaded and super-tender veal cutlet, hot macina and roasted peppers, sauteed mushrooms, sweet caramelized red onions and a homemade sauce that was tangy and spicy and sweet. The provolone cheese married so well with the sauce and veal and melted perfectly over the hot sandwich and caused a bonding with the bread and veal. I drool just thinking about it. Luckily, I experience it every single time I take the first bite. And the second bite, third bite and on and on.

If you ever make a trip to or through Kitchener, take a drive to this great place. Two fantastic personalities and a selection of great fresh food. No matter what you have to try this sandwich, or as they refer to it ``The Love.`` All right here at Nostra Cucina.

The best sandwich I ever ate!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Michael, as one of those 'fantastic personalities' I'd like to say thank you for your blog. I have to say your articulate description of 'the love' makes me realize that is the perfect name for it.
A little background you might appreciate, I too remember the first of Dina's veals that I had, it's actually what started it all. I couldn't believe that a sandwich could taste...like so much. It really is the love that makes it so good. Again, thanks.
BTW we're expanding, we're going to start serving dinner in the next 6-8 weeks, new dinner menu and a liquor license to boot.

 
At October 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Michael Lewicki said...

It's the perfect name. And the perfect flavours. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and do my best to say thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home